Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-21-2011

joeording is on a distinguished road
Islander 30 Mk II Tanks

I posted this in the Islander subforum, but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I figured I might as well post it here as well.

My girlfriend and I just bought our second sailboat, a 1971 Islander 30 Mk II. There's a long to-do list for it, but something has me puzzled. Where is the water tank? Based on what I've read, there is a tank built in to the boat somewhere, but I can't seem to find it, or much evidence of its existence.

Looking in the bilge, the shape of the (rather shallow) bilge sure looks like the tank is under the cabin sole, slightly left of center. It sounds hollow when I knock on that area. But where is the access? The forward sole board in the head doesn't reveal any access to a tank, nor is there anything obvious in any of the lockers. The only thing I've found that looks like it would go to the tank is a hose in the locker under the kitchen sink. It goes down under the cabin sole, and the off to port, but it's routed behind/under the area where the stove and drawers in the galley are, and I have no idea where it terminates.

The way the water system is set up now is there's a pressure regulator for the shore water in the cockpit, which goes to a tankless water heater, which is plumbed to the sink in the galley and the sink in the head. Those sinks drain straight out via their own thru-hulls. No tank, no pump, etc.

There is no other deck fill for a water tank, just one for the fuel tank, but the deck has been painted, so it could've been patched over and painted over well enough to hide its location.

The only other thing I can think of is the fittings are in the bilge opening, which is full of scummy water and I haven't cleaned it out yet. I've got some bilge cleaner marinating in there at the moment, perhaps all will be clear when I get that cleaned out.

I also wonder where the holding tank should go. At the moment the head is direct discharge, which is a no-no since we're trying to get it ready for liveaboard in a marina. The thru-hulls for the head are under the starboard dinette, and the locker has a cutout that seems like it was meant to fit a smallish tank. Is this where other people have their holding tank? I've read about people having it in the v-berth, which doesn't sound terribly appealing since the thru-hulls are the opposite direction, and potential smells since that's where we'll be sleeping.

In summary: is there a tank under the cabin sole? If so, how do I get at it? If not there, where is your water tank? Where is your holding tank?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2011

ligal is on a distinguished road
we had an islander 30 1984 the water tank was under the port settee and ithad an on deck fill.
Old 01-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The layout image in the link shows a water tank forward under the V berth, and fuel under the stbd quarterberth

30′ Islander MKII Sloop | Pacific Marine Foundation

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-22-2011

jbrockpiano is on a distinguished road
Where is the water tank ?

The water tank is under the forward V berth covered with a triangular sheet of 1/2 " plywood glassed only on the tank side. It will leak if the edges are not also glassed. I just made a new top for the tank on my Islander 30 mk 11. The 28 gallon fuel tank is under the starboard quarter berth.
Old 01-30-2011

I did some more investigating, you're right that the tank is in the V berth. The hose runs through the port hanging locker in the V berth, and there's a T fitting which looks like it ran up to the where the deck fill used to be. It's been filled and painted over, you can't tell where it was. I think there's non-skid over it now.

I have a couple of follow-up questions: is there a way to seal the top without glassing it in that won't make the water taste weird or leech chemicals? I have a tube of 3M 4000 UV that I've been using for deck hardware and portlights, but I don't know if that's good for this application. It looks like it was screwed down previously, some residue from a seal maybe but it was cleaned up well and hard to tell what was there, maybe butyl rubber?

The gel coat that's in there now is in good shape. Should I paint it anyway? Epoxy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2011

Repair the tank top

I just did this job last season. The trouble is the top of the tank is covered with 1/2 inch plywood glassed only on the bottom side. The edges are not glassed so water gets into the plywood and it rots then leaks hen the boat is heeled. What I did was remove the top, cleaned the tank, used the top as a template to cut out a new one glassed all sides, top and bottom cut a gasket out of rubber and sealed with silicone, not 5200. You would be wise to replace the fittings for fill hose and vent while you have the tank apart. Also replacing the hose to the sink made the water taste much better. It is a pretty easy job but the glassing takes several days because of cure time.

Good luck, I love how my Islander MK 11 sails !
Old 01-30-2011

I see, you covered the whole plywood cover with fiberglass. Did you then secure the cover with screws in addition to the gasket/silicone? Does your tank have any baffles in it?

Old 02-03-2011

Yes, I covered the entire piece of plywood in glass & epoxy. I drilled the screw holes oversized and then filled them with thickened epoxy. I then drilled the screw holes normal size through the epoxy so there would be no water contact with the plywood. There are no baffles in the tank. I wanted the top of the tank to be removable in case one of the hose fittings needs replacement in the future.
Old 02-04-2011

Thanks for the info.