Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-22-2011

bandit1 is on a distinguished road
Yamaha 2400 Watts Generator

I'm in the process of getting myself one of those portable inverter generators IE Honda, Yamaha seems to be the way to go. My question is about size. I have a 38' sail and I'm considering getting Yamaha's 2400 watt generator. Would this be too big for my boat? Is the 2000 watt good enough or do you wish you had more power? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2011

mtboat is on a distinguished road
yamaha 2400 watts

I have found that the 250 dollar generator that is usually made in Mexico, can be found at any auto parts store. I have had one for years with little maintainence. 1800 watts 2000 watts surge, also has a inverter AND 12 volt plug with battery clamps. It runs 9 hrs on a 1.3 gallon tank. Actually fairly quiet. Charges two batteries from half to "full" in four hours.
Old 01-22-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
We have a 12000 BTW Cruise Air system in our Beneteau 343. Our little Honda EU2000 is able to start the condenser and keep it running...it drops out of ecothrottle mode and runs full on, but its able to keep up with it.

I'd imagine in a 38' vessel, you'd have a 16,000 BTU system as the 12,000 BTU is weak for our boat and struggles in the summer heat without extra fans. So, the extra wattage may be good for you.

When we evaluated, you could get the Honda online for $850 if you haggled, shipped to your door. The Yamaha was newer and wasn't being discounted...so for the price of 1 Yamaha, I was looking at getting almost 2 of the Hondas!! So, what we did was get a single Honda, but bought the extended range tank that holds an extra 10 gallons of fuel...mostly for times of hurricanes at home.

The only thing that worries me about these mini-gensets is that *THEY RUN HOT* We usually kept ours on the stern swim platform in calm waters and often times, I find that the surrounding gelcoat heats up uncomfortably even wiht the exhaust pointed AWAY from the boat.

Also, Carbon Monoxide (CO) scares me to death. I've never been able to sleep with the Honda on at night, just because I'm worried about fumes and such stovepiping. Some I've heard keep the generator on a halyard and lash it about 10 feet above the deck...seems great idea until it rains at night! I think my next project wlll be fabricate an enclosure with a blower/muffler on the EU2000.great little machine though.
Old 01-22-2011

DulceSuerna is on a distinguished road
One tiny bit of advice if you get the Honda 2000 get the Companion model. Instead of two small 110 plugs it has one small plug and a large 30 amp plug. Same total watt ouput but much higher startup load capability then the standard EU2000. Well worth the exta 100+$ We have used ours between our boat and property and have over 200 hours on her. We change the oil with synthetic about every 20 hours wich takes about 2 minutes , no problems at all . Not sure about the honda Night0wl uses but ours runs cool, even beneath it, the Exhaust is so cool you can put your hand on it. She has run our battery chargers, AC and coffee pot all at once. The hot water heater puts a bit of a load though on her. The fuel onsumption is great 10 hours w just ac, about 8 -9 with more running, and its a clean sine wave good for computers etc.

Last edited by DulceSuerna; 01-22-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.