Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-24-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
When you put the space heater on, did you also use a small fan to blow the warm air down into the bilge? Without forcing the (lighter) warm air down there, the (heavier) cooler air in the bilge has no reason to go anywhere and convection/diffusion of the heat might not be enough to warm things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Here is the pure strength propylene glycol based antifreeze intended for cars: SIERRA Antifreeze The freezing point of CaCl2 brine is -40°F with a concentration of 23.3%. For regular table salt, NaCl, at a concentration of about 24%, the the freezing point is 0°F.
Old 01-24-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A little frozen water in the bilge wouldn't even get my attention. I did put a full gallon of -100f antifreeze in the empty bilge before I left it. The problem is that water comes down the mast in remarkable quantity and fully overwhelms the bilge and dilutes the AF. The boat does have a full cover on it. It has not been uncommon for me to come and handpump 20 gallons of water out of the bilge each month. The level is probably twice that high now, but frozen solid.

The water starts to back up across bilge compartments and has now penetrated the genset locker. The frozen water in the genset has covered some hoses and insulated electrical wiring and is just about to be high enough to get into the genset cabinet itself.

The primary bilge pump is well above the bilge itself, with only an intake hose down in the bilge. The backup pump is fully submerged under the ice. That cant' be good.

Rock salt seems like it would leave corrosive residue behind. I will have to look into a non-corrosive chemical deicer.

Another suggestion I received was to heat up or boil some -100f antifreeze and pour over the ice. It would melt, mix and keep all from refreezing while I pump overboard. First, I have to check to see if heating antifreeze is a good idea and it isn't flamable. Secondly, that will get expensive as it will take dozens of gallons that will just go straight overboard.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-24-2011

orient is on a distinguished road
Do you have this problem every winter?
Old 01-25-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Do you have this problem every winter?
No. I have typically been able to get there shortly after it rains to pump, but it has rained several times, then immediately dropped below freezing temps this year. If it were to stay cold, it would snow, which is not an issue. If it stays just above freezing, its still liquid and I can deal with it. Too much back and forth this year, with some serious deep freezes.
Old 01-25-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
at this point go with rock salt, get it melted and out then rinse to get rid of the extra salt. you could also go get a few heat tape setups and drop them in the bilge, they should slowly melt the ice thats there, then stop any other water from freezing.

but the above means nothing if you dont have power.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.