Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-25-2011

nashahid is on a distinguished road
Foul weather gear - clueless as what to buy

Hi everyone,

I'm 23 and I'm making my first transatlantic voyage from Portugal - Canaries - St. Lucia in February. I know I need some foul weather gear (I've only cruised in warm water before , but I'm pretty clueless as what to buy even after a few hours of reading.

I assume my West Marine, two-layer jacket won't do - it' a rubbery nylon material that is waterproof and has neoprene wrist joints that are watertight, but no neoprene for the neck area, just a place where you can get it really tight (but probably not watertight).

I also assume my hodgman's waders w/ built-in boots (100% waterproof) won't do for bibs because they'll fill up with water if I go overboard (god forbid).

Will my rubber oyster/clamming calf-high boots work?

I really don't know if this trip needs serious offshore rated foulies, or coastal foulies, or if anything that I have will work. I assume the Portugal - Canaries portion, while short, is important because it will be the coldest and will have the most chance of weather All help is appreciated!

-Nick

Last edited by nashahid; 01-25-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011

VGWS1 is on a distinguished road
Imagine that you are cold and wet at night and still have hours to go. Ask yourself then how much you would spend to be wrm and dry.

My advice is buy the best gear you can afford. I used to produce a range of goretex foul weather gear but got displaced by the big players when they adopted our designs :-(

However, there is some really good gear on the market.
Old 01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGWS1 View Post
Imagine that you are cold and wet at night and still have hours to go. Ask yourself then how much you would spend to be wrm and dry.

My advice is buy the best gear you can afford. I used to produce a range of goretex foul weather gear but got displaced by the big players when they adopted our designs :-(

However, there is some really good gear on the market.
Thanks for the quick reply, so would I be more prudent to buy foulies that keep me very dry and allow me to layer underneath for warmth considering there will be some substantial temperature variation in this trip, or should I get some that offer both dryness + insulation.

Any specific ideas/brands/models/ratings/etc would be much appreciated, thanks again!
Old 01-25-2011

VGWS1 is on a distinguished road
Layers are better. Shells that provide good weather protection can be used through a winde range of conditions. You can then add layers underneath to give extra warmth.

The guy who helped me design my gear was from a outdoor adventure background. These guys have been using the layer concept for many years. It gives the most flexibility.

I have not been keeping up with the brands and their features. Musto and Henry Lloyd have always been leaders. But there may be other really good brands out there.

The features I look for are: Neck and wrist seals. Adjustable waist seals on jackets. High bib and brace pants (to give lots of overlap between jacket and pants). Handwarmer pockets. Built in harnesses are also a good idea. If you are going to spend a lot of time on deck padded seat and knees are also really good investments.

Check the performance of the fabric also. As we found with Goretex, breathable fabrics can allow moisture through in some conditions. So check to see the if bum reinforcment is fully waterproof. We used cordura with neoprene bonded to the inside for the bum patch. Provided a waterproof layer and good padding.

Last edited by VGWS1; 01-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2011

Thanks for all the feedback VGWS. I definitely plan to invest in a good jacket considering most of the feedback I've gotten and what I've read.

What are your thoughts on my Hodgman waders with lots of layering for bottoms, is this a stupid idea?

Bantam Weight Cleated Sole 2-Ply Polyester/Rubber Chest Waders | Spring Fishing | Outdoors | Hodgman - Waders Since 1838

Also, what do you think about sea boots? Will my generic rubber oyster/clam boots work?

All the feedback is much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Heading to the islands may be warmer than we're warning you about, but..; better safe than sorry. It isn't going to snow, but you might start to think it might, it can seem so cold. Layers are good for keeping heat in and being able to keep the driest ones next to the skin. A fleece watchcap (or two) will dry out fast and be comfortable, without taking up a lot of space. For one trip, I don't know if spending 500 euros on foul weather gear will improve the experience that much.
Old 01-25-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Check out the manufactures web sites or go to online stores web sites, there is good information there. The manufactureres rate their gear by usage, ie. inshore lakes, coastal, coastal limited off shore etc. You can pretty much go with that description.

Gill, Henri Lloyd, Musto are all good brands.

If you are on deck, maybe on the rail and green water is coming down on you, you will want a good set. Very good neck seals are important in those conditions.

Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy.

Gary
Old 01-25-2011

rjcaudle is on a distinguished road
I also assume my hodgman's waders w/ built-in boots (100% waterproof) won't do for bibs because they'll fill up with water if I go overboard (god forbid).

My advice...Don't go overboard. Wont make too much difference what you are wearing if that happens.

rjc
Old 01-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcaudle View Post

My advice...Don't go overboard. Wont make too much difference what you are wearing if that happens.

rjc
My thoughts exactly. They're totally watertight, seems like if I slipped a waterproof costal-rated jacket over them that don't let water in at the wrists/neck I'd be good to go.
Old 01-25-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
+1 layers

Cold weather
1st Layer polypropylene
2 fleece
3 Foulies.
I often wear a wind shirt as well.

Gloves - low tech good old fashioned rubber gloves with a fleece liner

Boots - breathable, if you can afford them. Dubarry is the gold standard, I wear Sperry Fathom's they have kept my feet dry from both sides.

+1 stay on the boat. Inflatable pfd with harness and a good tether.

I would add Helly Hansen to the list of manufacturers of foulies. Love my offshore bib pants.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)