Jib... one line or two? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-26-2011 Thread Starter

Jib... one line or two?

I am new to sailing, and am looking to replace the sheets on the boat I just bought I have been reading the forums, and am wondering...Should I use one or two separate sheets to the jib? I plan on using a soft shackle to attach the sheet(s), which brings up another question...It looks like the soft shackle is made from a single braid line, is that right? I am not looking to race (yet), and hopefully won't have to change sails in a hurry, so it seems like a single line looped in the middle would be better than 2 separate.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-26-2011

I have done the single line on the J24 and it works with no great advantage over two lines and the disadvantage of not being able to remove one of the lines if it becomes fouled

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-26-2011
Telstar 28

Of course, if you're looking to use soft shackles...then you could seize an eye in the middle of a single long line and use it for both sheets and then connect it to the sail using a soft shackle.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-26-2011
Senior in age only!!!

Exclamation

Normal set up is two seperate lines. Tie a bowline in each, easily undone if necessary and no additional piece of metal to smack you when, not if, the sail gets away at some stage. Raceing not for me.
Safe sailing

The great appear great because you are on your knees. James Larkin, Irish Labour Movement.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-26-2011

Use two lines attached with bowlines to the jib. if you just have one line it is difficult to detach the line from the sail when the sheet gets jammed or tangled, as Tommays said. Also, if you use one line you can't switch it end for end to change the wear pattern to extend its life. Except on a small dinghy I can see no advantage to using one line over two.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-26-2011
Special Delivery

Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Two lines with bowlines are preferable but a single line can also be used with a running bowline as an alternative. The advantage of this knot is that it can be untied like a simple bowline.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-26-2011

Personally I've used a single line for lots of years. Didn't really like the bulkiness of two bowlines, plus you could sheet almost to the clew of the sail, plus if you aren't good at knots, there isn't much to worry about. Since smaller sails usually need thicker lines for sheets I had a set on each sail. The attachment "knot" when using a single line is called a luggage tag.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehardaground View Post
The attachment "knot" when using a single line is called a luggage tag.
lark's head or cow hitch

I am of the 2 line school of thought a la fordo.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #9 of 23 Old 01-26-2011

Lark's head / cow hitch (aka cow hitch) have a problem on bigger sails - they will slip. Also if one side ever breaks, the jib could slip right out of the sheet. If you have a big boat and want to go with a single line, use an Alpine Butterfly - you will have to tie it "off the bite" or whatever that term is. I put a cow hitch followed by an Alpine Butterfly on mine. The first helps prevent chafe on the Alpine Butterfly.
This configuration make it easier for me to tack the Jib through the slot on a cutter rig.

Cy
S/V Music
MASON 44

post #10 of 23 Old 01-27-2011

I've got a pretty desent size head sail on our tayana and I use a single sheet w/ larks head, did the same on our last boat also, never had a issue, has never slipped but then, I haven't had to deal with a break either

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.