Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
What is this genoa track thing for?

Genoa_Cars.html_txt_Sch 72-45X

Okay, my imagination is failing me and apparently I don't understand this thing well enough to get Google to pony up an answer. Can anyone tell me why I have one of these on each jib track? Perhaps it's a really sturdy fender attachment point?

Thanks,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While you can use it for a fender attachment point, it is really designed for attaching a snatch block to, so you can alter the lead on a genny sheet to be more fair for instance, or to use a second headsail, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
How do you run your headsail sheets?

The thing in your photo is called a genoa track car. The knob is either spring loaded or screw-down, and when released, the car can slide along the track.

Attach a block to it to the U (doesn't need to be a snatch block) and run your sheets through it. In stronger winds, slide the car aft to tension the foot of the headsail. In lighter winds, slide forward to increase draft. Note that you can't generally slide the car on the leeward side while it's under tension.
Old 01-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A problem with simply adding any sort of block to these is that the block will flop around and eventually mark/damage the deck. You can buy 'stand up' springs to keep the block upright to avoid this.

Assuming this isn't your only lead car on the track. On many boats, when you have the jib car fwd for a small sail, the port sheet tends to chafe on a coaming/cabin side as it leads to the inside edge of the drum. You could use this to ensure a fair lead to your winches by pinning it at the aft end of the tracks and also run the sheets through a block there.. that way the lead angle to your sheet winches doesn't change when you adjust your genoa/jib car for trim or for different sized headsails. It would add a bit of friction drag, though.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

jib lines

Still not sure how I'd use them. I have an asymmetrical spinnaker (blue) that I run through turning blocks at the stern. The 135 genoa (green) I run through a block on the track then back through a snatch block just behind the winch (black). I've never flown my storm sail (red) but it clips onto the rolled up genoa so both sails cannot be flying at the same time. I have blocks that screw into the side decks inside the standing rigging for those lines.

But I still have the bombproof "fender attachment" cars on the track (purple). I could put a snatch block through there but what would use it? Perhaps it is left over from a sail that the previous owner(s) had?

By the way: my graphic belongs to me. You may repost it only with appropriate credit

Thanks,
Chris

(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, do you have any cars that look like this on your genoa tracks?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Just curious, do you have any cars that look like this on your genoa tracks?

I have something that looks exactly like that. It is the green rectangle on my diagram (can't you tell). I use those for the jib sheets. BTW, all of the hardware shown on the diagram is permanent mounting.

(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-28-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
You can put a small block on those and use them as tweakers/twings for your kite.
Old 01-28-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
You can put a small block on those and use them as tweakers/twings for your kite.
Given the diagram, that's probably what the PO was using them for.
Old 01-28-2011

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Preventer?

Maybe these were used as the attachment point for the vang being used as a preventer of sorts for downwind sailing. (Or in that same vein, and perhaps a bit more proper, if you attach a snatch block to them a preveter line may have been run from the boom through those blocks forward to a block on the bow and back to the cockpit.)