Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-29-2011
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
I gotta big Rudder problem (Charlie Cobra)

Hunter 37 Rudder

Looking at a hunter 37 with a bent rudder. Cheapest one I could find online was about $1500.00.
I was thinking about taking it out since the boat is on the hard and splitting the rudder at the spade and removing the shaft. Getting a shaft of stainless to replace it and having it machined to original specs. putting it back into the spade and fiber glassing it together again.
Has anyone ever done this?
Also after I did this how could I protect the rudder so it didn't happen again?

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
if you get the shaft out of the rudder a machine shop should be able to straighten it. also over at hunterowners.com IIRC there is a thread on fixing a rudder. cost to get it straighten should be less than 200. you total fix if you do it all your self total fix should be less than 400.

do a search here emkay, he fixed his rudder ( hunter 27 ), which had water issues, it might have been slightly bent too.
Old 01-29-2011

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
You don't want to straighten SS. SS work-hardens once bent and may cause micro-cracking bringing it back. I'd just replace the shaft, it's cheap insurance. Chances are it'll have tabs inside that will need to be added on.
I would contact Hunter and find out how the rudders are put together.

Protecting the rudder is as simple as staying away from rocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
I would not be comfortable with a stainless rudder shaft that had been bent and then straightened.I would not do this work for a customer. It might be ok and it might not.
Old 01-29-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarRey View Post
You don't want to straighten SS. SS work-hardens once bent and may cause micro-cracking bringing it back. I'd just replace the shaft, it's cheap insurance. Chances are it'll have tabs inside that will need to be added on.
I would contact Hunter and find out how the rudders are put together.

Protecting the rudder is as simple as staying away from rocks.
Saw simlar advice in PBO(UK) mag.
Agree stainless steel rod is not great once bent and straightened. Tends to be brittle were heated or stressed.
Safe sailing
Old 01-29-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember, most rudder shafts aren't just a straight shaft. They're welded to a web that is the framing the rudder is built around. Without the web, the rudder quadrant has no leverage on the rudder blade, and the chance that the rudder blade would just spin around the shaft is almost guaranteed.

As for how to protect the rudder.. stay in DEEPER WATER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Hunter 37 Rudder

Looking at a hunter 37 with a bent rudder. Cheapest one I could find online was about $1500.00.
I was thinking about taking it out since the boat is on the hard and splitting the rudder at the spade and removing the shaft. Getting a shaft of stainless to replace it and having it machined to original specs. putting it back into the spade and fiber glassing it together again.
Has anyone ever done this?
Also after I did this how could I protect the rudder so it didn't happen again?

Thanks in Advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-30-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
yes the shaft can be weakened once straightened but the ones who i have seen that have done this have driven in either a rod or a tube into the old shaft to strengthen it.
Old 01-30-2011

afunytingapend is on a distinguished road
I am the odd one out! I believe the shaft can be straightend! Sorry, but I just tend to try and repair rather than replace. SS depending on its type, is fairly ductile. It is not prone to stress cracking. I would say if it is not bent much beyonf 15 to 20% from std then take it to a reputable engineering shop. Ask for it to be "Stress normalised" .This is heating it up to a certain temp and allowing it to cool at a certain rate. Then straighten it. Back in the oven and heat treat it again. Bring it back to a couple of points below its original temper. Should be fine. SS is incredibly tough. Way beyond the properties of mild steel.
Old 01-30-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I think afunytingapend is on the right track. A machine shop should be able to anneal the shaft/frame (if necessary). It all depends on how bad the bend is (i.e., how much the material has to be worked), and exactly what grade of stainless you're dealing with. A good machinist should be able to tell what needs to be done.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 01-30-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by afunytingapend View Post
I am the odd one out! I believe the shaft can be straightend! Sorry, but I just tend to try and repair rather than replace. SS depending on its type, is fairly ductile. It is not prone to stress cracking. I would say if it is not bent much beyonf 15 to 20% from std then take it to a reputable engineering shop. Ask for it to be "Stress normalised" .This is heating it up to a certain temp and allowing it to cool at a certain rate. Then straighten it. Back in the oven and heat treat it again. Bring it back to a couple of points below its original temper. Should be fine. SS is incredibly tough. Way beyond the properties of mild steel.
Jez, I believe in recycling but no matter what trouble or expense you go to the shaft cannot be concidered as strong a new replacment. Non destructive testing, X Ray, mite convince me but the cost is realy prohibitive unless you have pals in the industry. Rudder shafts take a lot of stress and need to be 100%. Given the original bent I,d be concidering ways to increase the diameter if at all possible or at least additional support such a stronger skeg.
Safe sailing