SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Stay/Shroud Adjusters (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71702-stay-shroud-adjusters.html)

sailguy40 01-29-2011 09:03 PM

Stay/Shroud Adjusters

My friend bought a Macgregor 21 a few weeks ago and I helped him rig it all up. Everything is good but... my boat uses turnbuckles all around. His boat uses shroud adjusters and a stay adjuster for the back stay. I am not familiar with these. The only turnbuckle on his boat is on the forestay. The problem I am having, his lower shroud on both sides are too short, even with shroud extenders. So my question is, what is the best way I can extend the shrouds? Would that be to just link two extenders together?

dnf777 01-29-2011 09:09 PM

You could do that, but why?
They're not cheap, and anything but cable is a weak point or possible failure point. What shape are the existing lines in? Would this be a good excuse to replace them with right length new ones?

sailingdog 01-29-2011 09:55 PM

The rigging for a MacGregor Venture 21 isn't going to be very expensive. Before making any changes, I would double-check to make sure that you have everything setup properly. The shroud length discrepancy could be due to not having everything else setup properly. Did your friend call or ask the previous owner about the problem?

mdbee 01-29-2011 11:01 PM

Those shrouds don't shrink... something is rigged wrong. (Providing they were on that boat)

sailguy40 01-30-2011 01:33 AM

The rigging just seems strange on this boat. I have 6 lines... a backstay, a forestay and two shrouds on each side which at first seems normal. The backstay has a stay extender which is attached to a stay adjuster. The way this is setup, it should at least have a toggle so it won't bend the adjuster but it is already bent. The forestay is using a turnbuckle and seems to be fine other then that buckle is closed completely. It appears to me, the forestay is too long because that is a small turnbuckle and still is completely closed. All 4 shrouds have extenders on them. The upper shrouds hook to the shroud adjusters just fine. The lower shrouds are about 4 inches too short even with the extenders on. I think he will certainly have to contact the guy he purchased the boat from and ask him. In the meantime, I will look it all over yet once again but I can't see too much I could do differently.

mitiempo 01-30-2011 01:46 AM

Could the forestay and backstay be reversed?

centaursailor 01-30-2011 02:49 AM

Those shrouds don't shrink... something is rigged wrong. (Providing they were on that boat)[U][/U]

Always check how things worked before they were dismantled. The shrouds didn,t shrink so is the setup wrong or is there a couple of bits left over or missing?
Happy rigging