SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to make a simple zig zag stitch??

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fer@fer 
#1 ·
No where on the whole internet can I find an illustration on how to make a simple zig zag stitch to repair a small tear in my mainsail. I am using dacron tape on both sides and wish to stitch over the tape. If anyone can help, I''d appreciate it. Thanks

#2 ·
I would recommend picking up the book "Sailmakers Apprentice". It covers all aspects of sails, from design, material selection, construction, maintenance, and repair. It is one of the best books on the subject I have found. If you can''t find a copy on the shelf, you can order it at either a Boarders or Barnes & Noble.

You will find a nice section in there on the various stiching techiques used in sailmaking, and their uses. Clearly written and an excellent guide for the layperson. I highly recomend it for the "Self Sufficient" sailors among us.

#3 ·
Hi gwo

I can suggest your visiting www.sailrite.com

They do sell sewing portable machines, and kits of anything which can be sewn for a boat.

The page has also mpeg videos, and pdf documents explaining from A to Z how you can improve a fancy seam stitch

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.