Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-31-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
My Boat Has a Question About Her Swim Ladder

My boat has now taken to throwing the parts at me that she wants fixed--how handy is that? She, working with the stern lines and the wind, fidgeted the screw-in pins out of the swim ladder hinges, leaving the lower section hanging there. A few waves and it would've been in the drink.

But it caught my attention and now I can attend to some rust that was forming at the hinge. Here's the issue: This is a two-part hinged ladder. The lower section sits against the transom folded up pretty much all the time, with it's female hinge part pointing down. Any water intrusion into the stainless tubing appears to have nowhere to go but to sit in those two solid hinge legs--one of them is shown in the pic. Given that each step has 4 holes in its crossbar, and the bottom two or three steps go in the water, I would think some water intrusion is always a possibility.

It's hard to picture sealing the tread screw head side so it never leaks. Should I drill weep holes at the bottom of the tubing where the hinge ends are welded to the tubing?
Attached Thumbnails
My Boat Has a Question About Her Swim Ladder-ladder_hinge.jpg  

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You might have to drill multiple small holes to find the low spot without just drilling into the solid spot or weld material, and that would be a mess.

Maybe clean out the tubing (rinse, dry, repeat) and then immerse it in a small pot of liquid bees wax, allowing that to fill the end of the tube. That will keep water out and stay bonded pretty well inside the tubing. And form itself around the hole without interfering.
Old 02-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

So, are you saying fill the whole ladder with bees wax, hellosailor? It's got holes on all 5 rungs--the picture just shows the rung at the hinge. But I see your point of drilling near the weld at the hinge--not hard to picture making a mess of that.

But even if I fill the hinge stub leg with wax, I'd still have the problem of how to effectively seal the tread screw holes. Looking at McMaster-Carr, I see curved washers, but not in stainless.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 02-01-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
I think he meant to drill a weep hole and fill up to the weep hole with bees wax. The hole would now be the low spot
Old 02-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I think he meant to drill a weep hole and fill up to the weep hole with bees wax. The hole would now be the low spot
Ohhhh. Thanks for handling some of the thinking for me I'll consider that.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 02-01-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Beeing a former beekeeper I would bee skeptical that the beeswax would adhere tightly to the inside of the stainless, somewhat rusty, surface of the tubing. We used to melt our wax in a stainless tank, and once cool and brittle it would pop off easily. In fact, I would bee surprised if it didn't trap any moisture that did happen to collect inside making the problem even worse. I would drill a weep hole straight into the bottom of the tubes, in between the two flanges. The movement of the boat in the water will probably slosh water from any low spots into the vertical tubes and out the holes. When drilling use as much pressure as the bit will bear and slow speed.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

jrd, clearly you are the expert on beeswax. I like your idea of the end hole! Probably going to go that way. Thanks!

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 02-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't use wax on the steel, because of adhesion concerns that JRD points out, and the fact that it is far more likely to trap water and cause crevice corrosion than leaving the piece unfilled. At least unfilled, some oxygen will get in, and the water will occasionally get out.

I would also change it from a screw to a clevis pin, since the smooth sides of the clevis pin will not trap water as much as the screw threads do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would also change it from a screw to a clevis pin, since the smooth sides of the clevis pin will not trap water as much as the screw threads do.
That's where I'm headed, SD! The hinge was actually enclosed in a small shackle with the shackle screw pin going through the hinge parts. I figured to do away with the shackle and just put a clevis pin in there. The shackle's screw pin only had threads at the end, so I don't know that water retention was a problem there, but I do think a cotter ring will be less likely to undo itself.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Old 03-10-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

News flash: I'm an idiot. The maker of the ladder was way ahead of me. The side tubing apparently is solid at the joints, so any leaks around the treads stay in the cross pieces. I figured this out after drilling maybe 3/8" into the end, way past where I should have broken through. I'll fill the hole with epoxy, back away, and pretend it never happened

And then I'm just going to leave it alone.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.