Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-01-2011

JBIZZ is on a distinguished road
Universal m3-20 problems.

I'm having a problem w/ my engine (Universal M3-20A). It runs good for about a half hour then slowly shuts down. When I try to restart it it takes a while but then runs fine for extended periods of time w/ small fluctuating of RPMs once in a while. I replaced the fuel filters last October & have only put @ 15 hours since then. I have also replaced the metal fuel lines & banjo washers recently to stop a fuel leak. It seems to only run below 500 RPMs or above 1000 RPMs but nowhere in between. Also it will shut of when I have the throttle all the way back, which it did not use to do. I don't now if I have air somewhere in the fuel system, if my filters are clogged (which I doubt), or if I need to service the injectors. The engine was running fine before I replaced the fuel lines. I did leave the fuel system dry for 2 months while waiting for parts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I just want to know what I should check before I start spending money & taking things apart again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
just a thought BUT I had a strange thing happen on my M-25 the shutoff lever (to cut fuel flow) had the spring inside wear out. Now when this happened the engine would lose power and be hard to start. it was running with 1/2 the fuel delivery. I soved the problem with an external return spring.Might want to check that? Also go back and retighten the clamps on all your fuel lines TO the engine and double check those just in case?

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 02-01-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Degree may have a point, but in all probability you've got an air bubble somewhere left over from your extended outage.

These can be difficult to get out, you may need to bleed well beyond what 'looks' good to get rid of the air. Another thing to double check is that you do not still have a leak in the suction side of the fuel system.. these rarely leak diesel but always seem to suck in enough air to drive you nuts...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-01-2011

JBIZZ is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice degreeoff & Faster. I'm gonna try to bleed the fuel system more thoroughly & check my hose connections. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-03-2011

olgriz is on a distinguished road
Bleed, bleed, bleed.
Old 02-03-2011

wescarroll is on a distinguished road
I would think an air leak. Check the fuel pickup in the tank completely as a crack any where eventually becomes an air leak(experience), check for debris in the tank or fouled fuel and water. A friend had a leaf get into his tank somehow, and it would intermittently plug the fuel pickup. When the engine stopped it would release and the fuel would flow again. It was a real headache to find. Also as said before bleed bleed bleed you fuel line