Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-03-2011

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Standing rigging

Hey guys I just recently had my standing rigging on my watkins 27 checked out and they are calling for all new rigging due to cracked swedges and such and was wondering what does this normally cost, they quoted 1200-1500. Just looking for advice.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
A kit for the standard rigging on my 27 footer, including forestay, backstay, and uppers, is $580. It includes all 316 SS, swaged fittings, turnbuckles, toggles, and cotter pins. Similar kits for forward and aft lowers are about $140, so call it $860 all told.

What the kits do not include are adjustable backstays, running backstays, inner forestays/babystays, or any modifications that would be required for furling gear. Also this is a single-spreader masthead rig. Looks similar to your boat.

It also doesn't include labor. Are they quoting parts and labor or just parts?
Old 02-03-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Your quote for ALL the standing rigging looks pretty good, esp if that's installed. It would not include any costs for lowering and reinstalling the rig, I'm guessing, and you might want to do that for a thorough inspection of the rest of the rig while you're at it. If indeed you have cracked swages this would be the right thing to do at this time.

It will a give you good peace of mind for the future

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two routes you can go... you can have them install the new rigging or you can send your rigging to a loft and have them make up new rigging for you and ship it back and install it yourself. Given the quote you've gotten, that's not a bad price if it is for installed.

One thing I highly recommend is that you have the rigging made with swaged fittings at the mast and mechanical fittings at the lower ends. This is less expensive than going with all mechanical fittings and gives you a bit more versatility if you're planning on going cruising. I prefer the Hayn HiMod mechanical fittings over the StaLok or Norseman brands, since they're usually less expensive, and IMHO a better design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2011

SD's recommendation is probably a good one if you're planning on sailing to the Bahamas. Alternatively you could go the synthetic rope route... a hot topic on this forum. Even cheaper than swageless fittings, and very DIY friendly.
Old 02-03-2011

Thanks guys that price is, as I was told, for everything them pulling the mast and doing all the work the fellow told me if I did the work with them it would be a good bit cheaper, so if I did all the main work helping remove the mast and such that would help. I will talk to them again about it and I do plan on sailing to the Bahamas eventually so I plan on installing radar and going ahead and doing the mast head lights and anchor light as well as other things may even paint the mast. I figured it was not a bad price, next time I can meet with them they said that they would point everything out to me so I will do that so that I can see and talk to them in person more. Thanks for the information, and if you guys could help me come up with a list of questions to ask them and things to think about that would be great.

Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 02-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're really planning on going to the Bahamas, I would highly recommend you also get a spare piece of rigging as heavy as your heaviest piece, and as long as your longest piece...and mechanical fittings for it, so that you can jury rig something if you need to when sailing in remote areas.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Thanks guys that price is, as I was told, for everything them pulling the mast and doing all the work the fellow told me
In that case it sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 02-04-2011

Thats a great idea Sd. Thanks for the tips, I cant afford it right now so I am saving up and will do it closer to summer for now I am re-wiring the boat to make it safer and better overall. I want to set it up so it will be safe to sail to the bahamas by next year or so.
Thanks

Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 02-04-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
Thanks guys that price is, as I was told, for everything them pulling the mast and doing all the work the fellow told me if I did the work with them it would be a good bit cheaper, so if I did all the main work helping remove the mast and such that would help. I will talk to them again about it and I do plan on sailing to the Bahamas eventually so I plan on installing radar and going ahead and doing the mast head lights and anchor light as well as other things may even paint the mast. I figured it was not a bad price, next time I can meet with them they said that they would point everything out to me so I will do that so that I can see and talk to them in person more. Thanks for the information, and if you guys could help me come up with a list of questions to ask them and things to think about that would be great.
If they will allow you to work with them to defray part of the cost, I'd jump all over that. Not only will it lessen the cost, but it could be highly educational.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.