Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-03-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
ePaint EP2000

I'm doing a full bottom strip with new barrier and paint this winter. I was just pointed to this product to consider. It's an environmentally friendly paint that Practical Sailor says is excellent. I'm not a huge tree hugger, but would do my part if the stuff works. It is more expensive, but most of the job is labor anyway.

One thing I was given to consider is the trend toward banning some of the heavy metals in today's paints. He wasn't suggesting that would happen overnight, but if it did, I would not find myself having to strip again.

Any knowledge of the effectiveness of this paint?

Any thoughts on the likelihood of the metals ban down the road in New England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I used it last season in Ches Bay. Wheh hauled out last Nov. it was I'd say 95% bottom growth free. It has worn away quite a bit though, you can see the almost see the barrier coat underneath. I used a light color-gray.
Old 02-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
broke.... Thanks for the feedback. how many coats did you apply that nearly wore through?
Old 02-05-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I used 5 gallons on a 36 ft hull. Up to 5 coats just below the waterline.
Old 02-05-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
One thing I was given to consider is the trend toward banning some of the heavy metals in today's paints. He wasn't suggesting that would happen overnight, but if it did, I would not find myself having to strip again.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of the metals ban down the road in New England?
Not going to happen during the lifetime of your upcoming bottom paint or the next one or the one after that, in all likelihood. What is happening in California is that copper will be further regulated in anti fouling paint, causing manufacturers to reduce the overall copper content in these paints as well as the release rate. There really is no "trend toward banning some of the heavy metals in today's paints" in this country. The bottom line is that copper isn't going away anytime soon. I would not use that as a criteria for determining my choice of anti fouling paint.
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Not going to happen during the lifetime of your upcoming bottom paint or the next one or the one after that, in all likelihood. What is happening in California is that copper will be further regulated in anti fouling paint, causing manufacturers to reduce the overall copper content in these paints as well as the release rate. There really is no "trend toward banning some of the heavy metals in today's paints" in this country. The bottom line is that copper isn't going away anytime soon. I would not use that as a criteria for determining my choice of anti fouling paint.
I'm not so sure. Discharge permits are already being rescinded from New England marinas, meaning they can no longer pressure wash boat bottoms and let the runoff go back in the water. You also can't provide your service within a closed harbor, or at least some of them. The idea behind both is that the pressure wash and manual cleaning put more of the heavy metals into the water than the boat just sitting there. Marinas are being required to buy containment units and ship the discharge offsite if they lose their permit.

I've been told there is a marina is CT that has converted nearly all of their tenants to enviro-friendly paints and, as a result, got their discharge permit renewed.

I do see a trend coming. I'm not sure what you consider the lifetime of bottom paint, it essentially needs to be recoated every year. I would like not to have to strip it down to the barrier to reapply some required technology in the next 10 years. Therefore, I'm still considering the EP2000.

Not to mention, the more I look into it, the better performer it seems to be.
Old 02-05-2011

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Discharge permits are already being rescinded from New England marinas, meaning they can no longer pressure wash boat bottoms and let the runoff go back in the water. Marinas are being required to buy containment units and ship the discharge offsite...
This has been the case for years in California and it certainly didn't precede the banning of copper.

Quote:
I do see a trend coming. I'm not sure what you consider the lifetime of bottom paint, it essentially needs to be recoated every year.
I consider the lifespan of a high quality, well-applied anti fouling paint to be 2-3 years, with certain exceptions (Micron 66, for instance.) But we have a year-round sailing season on the West Coast and do not haul for the winter. So we do not typically paint yearly here.

I'm not saying that the E-Paint product you are considering is not a good paint and I do applaud you for being "green." What I'm saying is that the paint manufacturers have deep pockets and a vested interest in making sure copper stays in anti fouling paints as long as possible. California frequently leads the environmental way in the U.S., and I know for a fact that there are no plans to ban copper in this state. So, in my professional opinion, you do not need to take any potential copper ban into consideration when selecting an anti fouling paint product. Unless, of course, your marina requires that you use a non-toxic or non-copper anti fouling paint, something I have never seen happen anywhere, despite rumors of such.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 02-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2011

RoyGuile is on a distinguished road
My haulout marina in Connecticut has institued a policy to use only "non-toxic" bottom paints which certainly means paints without copper. Practical Sailor's March 2011 issue reports good results with Epaint's EP2000. During season, I keep my boat at the mouth of the Connecticut River, which sees brackish water on the ebb tide. Changing bottom paint is akin to changing your shoe brand: you never know if you've made the wrong decision until the hurt begins.
Old 08-31-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Even if they were to ban it, they would ban selling new paint. I think the likelihood of you having to scrape your's off is miniscule.
Old 08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Even if they were to ban it, they would ban selling new paint. I think the likelihood of you having to scrape your's off is miniscule.
Mark, you are correct. The intent of California's SB 623 is that once the ban (or whatever remedy the bill ultimately ends up presenting, since it is no longer a total ban on copper) goes into effect, copper-based paints could no longer be sold or applied. But if you wanted to keep your current copper paint on the boat for the next 20 years, you could. It wouldn't be doing its job anymore, but you could keep it on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.