Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Running Rigging Questions

Hello!

It's about time I start thinking about running rigging. I have a Catalina 30. I will be replacing all of the running rigging as new. I have some questions before I break out the debit card however..

I will be sailing in the Chesapeake Bay during spring and summer and venturing further south during fall and winter. My ultimate goal is to be able to make trips over to the Bahamas..

Using NE Ropes nifty little online rope selector, I think I should use Sta-Set X for cruising or upgrade to T900 for racing (or something comparable from other brands).

I've also looked at Amsteel and Amsteel-Blue by Samson and the Dynex Dux from Colligo Marine.

Can anyone give me pointers? Have you replaced running rigging on a 30 footer and what did you use (and what kind of sailing are you doing)?

Thanks a ton!
Old 02-04-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Amsteel and Dynex Dux might be more appropriate for standing rigging; any of the newer low stretch ropes like Sta-Set will do you fine for halyards. I still don't think there's much wrong with good old yachtbraid for whitesail sheets, but I'm sure you can spend more than that if you want to.

Lightweight water resistant sheets for spinnakers make sense....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Amsteel could be used, but it might slip in the clutches, as the line is very slick. Dynex Dux is designed for standing rigging and has no place in running rigging, and is specifically heat-treated to help reduce creep.

Do you have dacron sails? If so, then going with T-900 or another spectra/dyneema-cored line might be overkill for your sheets. You could use it for the halyards to minimize weight aloft and give you more of a safety margin on the halyards.

Cajun Trading Company has pre-packaged halyard/sheet kits for many common boats at a pretty good price. The kit for the Catalina 30 looks like this:

That kit is using XLE, which is their version of a polyester double braid, similar to StaSet, which is not a low-stretch line by any means.

Using a light dyneema/spectra-cored line for the spinnaker sheets or genny sheets makes sense, since a lighter line would help the sail keep its shape better in light air conditions. Spectra and its cousin Dyneema don't absorb water and are lighter/stronger than polyester.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingWebGuy View Post
Thanks so much for the info!
BTW, if you're planning on running the rigging aft any time soon, get about 15' added to the halyards and lines you plan to run aft, so you don't have to re-rig when you install the new gear.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-04-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Use something that is strong enough and easy on the hands.

All the high tech lines like Dyneema and Spectra are fantastic materials but they have a place - on high performance boats. If you are racing and worry about your boat speed in tenths of a knot, then they're probably justifiable.

Really, think about all the applications and whether you will notice a difference using them on your boat and weigh that up against the cost.

I know that my boat will not be equipped with these lines. SD's table from Cajun look like the right stuff for me.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

One advantage of the newer spectra/dyneema cored lines for halyards is that they give you a reserve of additional strength without going up in line diameter or weight. This allows for some wear that a standard double braid may not be able to withstand without requiring replacement. 3/8" double braid like StaSet has a BL of 4400 lbs, where a 3/8" spectra core line like that from Cajun Trading has a BL of 9800 lbs. or over twice that of the StaSet, and most of the strength is in the core of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Use something that is strong enough and easy on the hands.

All the high tech lines like Dyneema and Spectra are fantastic materials but they have a place - on high performance boats. If you are racing and worry about your boat speed in tenths of a knot, then they're probably justifiable.

Really, think about all the applications and whether you will notice a difference using them on your boat and weigh that up against the cost.

I know that my boat will not be equipped with these lines. SD's table from Cajun look like the right stuff for me.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-04-2011

Freddyman is on a distinguished road
I've had the same halyards on the boat for the last twenty years. They are Sta-Set solid green. They are rather faded but still serviceable.
High tech lines seem like a waste of money unless, as mentioned, you are racing.
Old 02-04-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
I think you'll find it isn't that easy to keep switching out halyards. And, I doubt you'll notice that much of a performance difference unless you're putting up "racing" sails. So, one set of halyards should be all you need.

Sta-Set X doesn't have the "slick" feeling that Sta-Set (and T900) has. It'll tear your hands to shreds unless you wear gloves. For a halyard, it'll work fine and is an upgrade from Sta-Set. I have T900 halyards...unless you really need "low stretch" and/or you really like the "slick" feeling...a bit of an over-kill (even on a J/36).

As for sheets, regular Sta-Set is likely your best bet. The computer models probably say you could go as small as 3/8", but that's really too small for most people to easily grip. Size sheets so they fit your winches/gear as well as your hands.

Just my thoughts,

Skipper
J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

Just remember to size the halyards and sheets to FIT THE EQUIPMENT on your boat. Most line clutches, especially Lewmars, have a limited size range they can handle. The same is true of self-tailing winches, deck organizers, sheaves and turning blocks.

Telstar 28
New England