Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-04-2011
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
Red face Okay, a 700 watt West Marine Inverter

does not come with mounting hardware and the instructions state to :

1. to avoid discharging the battery power source always turn off the power inverter and disconnect the inverter form the power supply when not in use.

2. disconnect the inverter from a vehicle when starting the engine

So, I should only "hook her up" when I'm planning on using the inverter?
If hooked up and using, do not start the engine?

Actually it was purchased for the blender this summer and perhaps a laptop to watch a movie or two.

My kayak surely didn't have these system issues -- of course the kayak wasn't propelled by the wind, didn't have a head, bunks, icebox, etc etc.

thanks guys, be as candid as you like, I'm a newbie and the curve is steep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
So, I should only "hook her up" when I'm planning on using the inverter?
If hooked up and using, do not start the engine?
Yes, and yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
This is a pretty light inverter. Using the rule p =i*e (power = voltage * current), the 700W / 120 VAC = 5.3 Amps. Depending on what you plug in, you may trip the overload protection.

1. I assume that this is a cigarette lighter setup, that your boat has a master OFF switch, and that the cigarette lighter plug is wired through the switch panel and not direct connected to the battery (dear God I hope so). If so, then simply switching the master power to OFF will keep your battery from draining.

2. I would keep it off or unplug it (if there is no power switch) due to the surge when starting.

3. In general, on the boat I leave electronics off unless I need them. We leave our inverter off until we use it, which is rarely. Of note is that we originally purchased our inverter to power the laptop, but the power loss from an inverter is about 0.5A. So I bought a DC laptop charger and draw 25% less power while the laptop is plugged in. This matters a lot when operating all day and all night without charging the boat's batteries. Invest $20 in a DC laptop charger.

Don't apologize for asking questions. When we question common assumptions, we find how little we really know.

Last edited by Sabreman; 02-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2011
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
it has 2 plug in ports and 2 USB ports

it's hard wired to the battery
still, its interesting to me that you can't mount it somewhere
it's easy enough to "unplug" from the battery

Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Old 02-04-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Yep, turn off the inverter when not in use. Even at "idle" they suck power.

Yep, unplug the inverter when not in use if possible. Could be the inverter is not totally "marine grade" and may cause you to discharge electricity into the water.

Yep, do not have the inverter on when you start the engine. Likely, inverter is not ignition protected. If you have a battery switch (and you should), it should have ingnition protection built in. However, I'd play it safe (not tempt fate) and disconnect the inverter when starting the engine.

Sounds very much like WM took an off-the-shelf inverter, put their name on it, called it "for marine use" without changing or adding anything to it, and doubled (or more) the price. But, it should work fine as long as you take the necessary precautions.

Skipper
J/36 "Zero Tolerance"
Old 02-04-2011

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
It is a light duty unit.... had two which only lasted half a year or less each. Got a 1200 unit which has been in service for more than 17 months.

They do have a significant loss so when not in use, unplug them. Never leave them on just to charge something like a phone all the time... it will kill a battery.
Old 02-04-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really should have that run through a circuit breaker or a switch on your panel to make your life a lot easier. You should definitely have a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere in the line for it too, or you risk a fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC725 View Post
it's hard wired to the battery
still, its interesting to me that you can't mount it somewhere
it's easy enough to "unplug" from the battery

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
On an automobile when you turn the key to start the engine, the accessory connection on the switch will interrupt power to the sensitive electronics in the car. That is why the radio drops out while you are cranking the engine. Not sure how many boats have the same setup, but a relay could be hooked to the accessory connection and drop out all the electronics. What happens is the starter draws a lot of current through coils that are wrapped around metal that becomes temporarily magnetized because of the current. When the current is interrupted because the engine catches and you let go of the key, this magnetic field had stored electrical energy and releases it back into the battery as a large voltage spike. Transistors in the electronics may not have high enough of a voltage rating to handle that spike. Ideally all of the electronics on the boat should be disconnected when cranking the engine.
Old 02-04-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
the one i got from hf is a 750 watt unit i use it in the truck and on the boat in the truck the unit is hard wired to power(with resettable breaker) and it auto shuts off when i start the truck and then resets itself after truck is running. on the boat its hooked up to the battery the same way however i dont have an inboard engine on my boat just wind and solar. (the hf unit is on sale for 39.95 this month) my current one has lasted over 2 years and many thousands of miles hauling freight charging puter and running coffee pot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.