Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
With all this talk about certification, what is the situation when you put a replacement incandescent bulb into an incandescent fixture that is made by a different manufacturer (eg, Ancor bulb in Aqua Signal fixture). Is that the same problem as when placing an LED bulb into an incandescent fixture?
Pete
If the bulbs meet the same specification in terms of wattage and such, I doubt that it would be much of an issue. A LED bulb doesn't meet the same specifications as an incandescent bulb it is replacing--in terms of color, angle of coverage, brightness, etc. In one, you're replacing apples with apples and in the other you're replacing apples with kiwi fruit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If the bulbs meet the same specification in terms of wattage and such, I doubt that it would be much of an issue. A LED bulb doesn't meet the same specifications as an incandescent bulb it is replacing--in terms of color, angle of coverage, brightness, etc. In one, you're replacing apples with apples and in the other you're replacing apples with kiwi fruit.
All true, but it was never certified with a 3rd party bulb so technically the same issue would seem to remain? For example, I think West Marine is offering Ancor bulbs for replacement in Aqua Signal fixtures. I realize I'm being nitpicky, but mostly wanted to make the point that one can only go so far with this certification business.
pete
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but it is also far more likely that you'll be challenged in the case of an accident using non-certified LED BULB/FIXTURE combos than if you were using a different brand of incandescent bulbs.

Quote:
All true, but it was never certified with a 3rd party bulb so technically the same issue would seem to remain? For example, I think West Marine is offering Ancor bulbs for replacement in Aqua Signal fixtures. I realize I'm being nitpicky, but mostly wanted to make the point that one can only go so far with this certification business.
pete

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-07-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Would the term sea lawyer apply here?

The regulations are pretty clear on what is required from the lights and my concerns would be with older boats with hazed lenses and corrosion. Certified lights simply mean that the lights have been tested to be visible at the range, colors and angles noted in the regulations.
Old 02-07-2011
Telstar 28

Having uncertified fixtures becomes an issue of liability if you are involved in a collision at night. Even if you were not at fault, if you were found to have uncertified nav lights, you can be found liable, and that can affect whether the person is at fault skates or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Would the term sea lawyer apply here?

The regulations are pretty clear on what is required from the lights and my concerns would be with older boats with hazed lenses and corrosion. Certified lights simply mean that the lights have been tested to be visible at the range, colors and angles noted in the regulations.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-08-2011
Beneteau 411

I've decided to replace my series 41 Aqua Signal fixtures as needed and install the Ancor incandescent bulbs from West Marine. The combination may not be certified, but given West's position in the marketplace it would be hard to fault that path. Additionally we'll start saving (and rationalizing) the purchase of a LED combo tr-color/anchor light for the masthead. I would appreciate recommendations on the tri-color/anchor lights. I have seen them from 4 different manufacturers.
Pete
Old 02-08-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
I've decided to replace my series 41 Aqua Signal fixtures as needed and install the Ancor incandescent bulbs from West Marine. The combination may not be certified, but given West's position in the marketplace it would be hard to fault that path. Additionally we'll start saving (and rationalizing) the purchase of a LED combo tr-color/anchor light for the masthead. I would appreciate recommendations on the tri-color/anchor lights. I have seen them from 4 different manufacturers.
Pete
I'd recommend the OGM tri-anchor, because it can be wired using just two wires, so you may be able to avoid running new wires down the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-08-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Argyle38
I don't believe manufacturers have their installation certified by the CG. Nor do I believe the CG even does that on recreational boats. They purchase the fixtures and install them, hopefully properly. The CG only certify the fixture/bulb combinations.
Interesting. I thought that maybe UL or someone similar might be contracted to verify adherence to the USCG rules. I would be willing to bet that European built boats must test to meet some CE/EU requirements. It would not surprise me at all if TUV had a marine division. It would take some specialized equipment, but nothing too outrageous.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 02-08-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Interesting. I thought that maybe UL or someone similar might be contracted to verify adherence to the USCG rules. I would be willing to bet that European built boats must test to meet some CE/EU requirements. It would not surprise me at all if TUV had a marine division. It would take some specialized equipment, but nothing too outrageous.
Actually, if you've read the USCG specifications, you'd realize that it would take some fairly sophisticated equipment to test the nav lights for certification. It isn't as simple as whether they are visible at a given distance...it has a lot to do with the cutoff angles of the sector, the color of the light, etc.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-08-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd recommend the OGM tri-anchor, because it can be wired using just two wires, so you may be able to avoid running new wires down the mast.
Thanks for the recommendation. I must say their website leaves a lot to be desired. Under the news heading, the latest is 6 years old. When you click on other links, it reports 'fatal error'. Wonder what their problem is? If I didn't know better, I'd say they are bankrupt or going out of business? If they were a profitable, up and coming company you would think they could keep their website up to date. Maybe the LED business is suffering.

I briefly compared the OGM site to the Signal Mate site. The Signal mate draws less current (.3 vs .5 Amps), offers a 5 year vs 2 year warranty and cost $60-70 less. It is available in 2 or 3 wire version. I wonder why that wouldn't be the best choice?
Pete

Last edited by prroots; 02-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.