Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-08-2011

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road
schaefer stanchions and bases

I have a Pearson 323 and I am in the process of replacing my lifelines and stanchions. I have noticed that the first stanchions back from the bow pulpit port and starboard have been purposely bent just above the stanchion base to help the lifelines conform to the lines of the boat. All the schaefer stanchion bases are 5 degrees off to accomodate the deck slope. All other stanchions are straight. There is another 323 at the marina and sure enough only those two are bent as well. Question is I want to replace some of the stanchions including the two that are bent. What is the best way in getting the bend on the new stanchions. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Contact Schaefer Marine through their website. They may still offer the stanchion, or may be able to modify one for you. Also Garhauer Marine (contact via website) has a good reputation if you have to have one custom made.
Old 02-09-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Over the years I have not had very good luck with the Schaefer stanchion bases. I have had the welds fail and the bases plates bend. A few years back I spoke to Garhaurer about making a heavier-duty stanchion base (of my own design) that had a thicker base plate and diagonal gusset plates to increase the weld area but with the same bolt pattern and approximate angle as the Schaefer. I sent them a drawing. Their price was essentially the same as their stock stanchion bases which also was much less expensive than the stock Schaefers. Their stanchions are less expensive than the Schaefers and I really like their 'Cone head' design. I believe that they will also custom bend the stanchions for a fee but you might find a plumber with a 1" dicky (bending tool) and bend it yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-09-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2011

Thanks, I will check into Garhauer Marine as well as a call to Schaefer.
Old 02-09-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Repair? Replace?

Jeff has suggested a good plan. It's hard to beat the quality and price of the Garhauer product.

Sort of a "plan c" might be to go to a nearby ss fab shop (if you have one with marine fab experience) and have the originals modified and/or repaired.
When I had all of our pulpits and stanchions off for straightening and installing larger backing plates I found a local shop that did beautiful work at repairing and polishing.
I had them add braces to the midship stanchions and double-brace the gate stanchion on each side.
Cost was reasonable and their work was flawless.
I can provide a link to the project along with some photos if you wish.
LB
Old 02-09-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Some boats have bases that are made in such a way as to compensate for deck angle,(expensive) Much easier to bend tubing or pipe to desired angle. Any competent fabricater that works with tubing for plants like milk packers ,brewerys and like that can do the work. Draw up what and how much you need and look for the best local estimate you can find.
Old 02-09-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Almost all standard bases have an angle built into them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 02-10-2011

I contacted Mike at Garhauer Marine yesterday and had a very informative conversation concerning the stanchion bases and stanchions. They will custom make the bases to the angle I want for about the cost of a generic stanchion base purchased somewhere else. I just might be replacing it all. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-10-2011

One minor suggestion. I believe that standard base plates on most stanchion bases are 1/8 plate. When I talked to Garhauer they were willing to increase the thickness of their standard base plate by a 1/16", which is more than twice as resistant to bending as the standard. I also initially asked for heavier brace bars which increases the weld area, but we ultimately decided to use 1/8" x 3/4" flat bar struts on an angle, which had substantially more weld area and so was less likely to separate from the baseplate. Lastly I asked them to match the bolt hole pattern from my existing stanchion bases. They agreed to do all of that for almost no upcharge from their standard stanchion base but it really results in a much more robust piece of hardware.