Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-08-2011
C445 #14 Owner

Tuennerman is on a distinguished road
Issues with Marvair System

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced a similar issue with their Marvair Reverse Cycle Air Conditioners.

I have two (2), 16,000 BTUH Systems installed on my Catalina 445. According to Marvair's own Documentation, each System requires a minimum water flow of 282 GPH for a total of 564 GPH. The Systems were installed, one forward and one aft, with a single Cal Pump, installed midship.

I've been having a lot of problems, some of which I believe are related to Water Flow. Unfortunately, Marvair has not been responsive at all even though these Systems were installed six months ago.
  1. Has anyone come across a similar configuration installed onboard their Vessel?
  2. Has anyone had issues with their Marvair Systems maintaining temperature?
  3. Has anyone had repeated Pump failures?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2011

BeautifulDay is on a distinguished road
Catalina 445 A/C problems

I have been chartering a 20011 Catalina 445 and I just purchased a used 2010 Catalina 445. The boat I have been chartering has had repeated problems with the A/C. (High Pressure kicks the unit off) This has caused me some concern about the boat I recently purchased. (I do not take delivery on the 2010 until 8/15/11 as the boat has to be trucked from the Great Lakes to Florida.) Here is what I can tell you about the problem:

At first we thought that Florida's hot climate and more than usual grass in the Gulf was clogging the filter. The intake fresh water intake filter/strainer sure seemed awfully small to be doing double duty. I also questioned the use of one pump for two systems. However, I have been told that this is a common set up.

My understanding is that the Catalina warranty has covered three different service calls. All different a/c refrigeration repair companies. As I write this email, none of the company's have been successful in fixing the problem. The owner of boat I have been chartering figured he would correct the problem through a modification to the system. He changed out the strainer/filter to a large Groco ARG-750-P water strainer. He also installed a Spectra Bio-Guard water treatment antifouling model BG-100 inline to retard marine growth. It was so impressive that I purchased the parts for the Catalina I purchased. However, shortly after the install, (and after I purchased the Groco & Spectra parts,) I went to use the charter Catalina this weekend and the saloon was in excess of 100 degrees. A small amount of water in the bilge had actually become stagnant from the malfunctioning A/C to the point it had clogged the intake of the bilge pump. I checked the Groco water strainer and it was clean!

Needless to say, the owner is very frustrated. I am wondering if I have just inherited this same problem the both of you are facing. I am beginning to suspect the system needs to be retrofitted with two seacock intakes, individual strainers and individual pumps. (the single pump and 3/4 inch single intake may not be enough to do the job.)

I plan on calling a contact at the Catalina factory on Monday to see if he has any insight. If you have corrected your A/C issue since posting on SailNet, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook