Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, if you're ever visiting your parents in Massachusetts, let me know... You can go sailing on Buzzards Bay...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2011

Danila is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingdog! I might just take you up on that -- I'm due back this summer.
Old 02-11-2011

Thanks again, everyone! Sailrite had the Gill OS2 jacket and trousers slightly discounted from retail, so I bought their combination. I think I'll buy the sunglasses, boots, sailing pants, and maybe rubber deck shoes locally so I can try them on. Matt from Sailrite told me my UnderArmour should be fine as a rash guard and will provide me with the UV protection I need under the bright Canary Islands sun.

Thanks again for all the help... I hope/fear this big investment will help me come back to sailing for a longer period of time... I guess only time will tell!
Old 02-11-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck on the trip...may the weather goddess watch over you... and post some photos when you get back

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-11-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danila View Post
SVA -- thanks for the other-than-outerwear suggestions. I checked Damart.de and it looks like just the long underwear costs 26 euro (about $35) per pair... I have long underwear, will I really need special fancy ones? I also have very warm, thick socks so I think I'll be okay with the ones I have.

What about boots/shoes? I can just get rubber galoshes that go over my shoes for bad weather, right?
It depends on how good your current long underwear is. Warm and dry is incredibly important. When it's cold out (really cold) you will live in the long underwear. When you go below the foulies come off as do intermediate layers. Hardly anyone changes completely - you just go down to a comfortable layer. Unless the boat has heat (and it's cranked) that means long underwear at least. The stuff you ski in (athletic) is generally not warm enough to sail in (much more sitting, on watch and below).

If you go with the rubber boats you'll want over-sized socks so you can double up. The rubber will keep you dry but not warm.

BTDT.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-11-2011

Thanks again SD and Dave. Dave, I've been in situations before where I had to be stationary and mostly standing on very wet, cold, windy nights for 4 to 8 hours at a time, and I have to say what I was wearing on my legs was enough -- regular long underwear, canvas-material pants, and a onesie on top. It always seemed above the waist that the bigger problems were, and so there I would layer on the UnderArmour and a couple more thermal layers, and then the top of the onesie would get me through okay.

The other thing is that I think this trip should be in nicer climes than yours to the Azores. But I'll see if I can find some warmer long underwear here in the sports shops. I just can't see myself dropping over $90 for 2 pairs of long underwear on a spring trip from the Canaries to the Mediterranean! I'll have to think about it, though... the "BTDT" is about the strongest argument, after all... it's all speculation for me!
Old 02-11-2011
Mermaid Hunter

... and it's always possible that I'm more cold sensitive than you are.

On the other hand I was out earlier this week saiiing in 22F weather. Chilling.

Watch the weather running up to your departure. Remember wet and cold is colder than dry and cold. You can always get some beefier stuff right before you leave if there is a cold snap.

Have a great time.

Old 02-17-2011

hwlovett is on a distinguished road
A hat is fine, if it will stand up to the wind, and keep water out of your collar. I find that a baseball hat and hood is better, especially is you are "ducking spray." Remember to bring some dish towels to tuck around your neck. They will keep water running down your neck to a trickle, even after a trip to the foredeck.

Synthetic "fleece" sweat pants are great under bids, and fleece socks can be wrung out and will still keep your feet warm.

In May, I think you will find the weather generally "balmy", but as someone else suggested, I wouldn't underestimate how cold a late night watch can be with wind and wet. Don't forget a watch hat.

I think you will have a GREAT trip!

Last edited by hwlovett; 02-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2011

hwlovett is on a distinguished road
Lol.... oh, I almost forget. Baby powder can be a life saver after sitting in wet shorts for a few days! Anyone who's spent much time offshore knows about prickly butt from the damp and salt.
Old 02-18-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlovett View Post
Lol.... oh, I almost forget. Baby powder can be a life saver after sitting in wet shorts for a few days! Anyone who's spent much time offshore knows about prickly butt from the damp and salt.
And baby wipes. Take baby wipes.