Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011

sidmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The stock you buy is not smooth at all, and to get a mirror finish is extremely time consuming so we had that done at a shop as well ($350).
By rights, you should get them polished and electroplated if you want to do it right....

Last edited by sidmon; 02-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Or you could use bronze.
Old 02-12-2011

dfreer is on a distinguished road
chainplates

I have just made new chainplates for my Formos 41. I have access to polished SS and can give you a price for making the same for you, if you are interested.
Old 02-12-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmon View Post
By rights, you should get them polished and electroplated if you want to do it right....
Actually, you want the polished to a mirror-like finish and the ELECTROPOLISHED to smooth the surfaces at a microscopic level... you do not want them ELECTROPLATED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-06-2012

gdecon is on a distinguished road
Re: Chainplates

is the polishing just for aesthetics ?
Old 04-06-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdecon View Post
is the polishing just for aesthetics ?
No, it's to achieve a totally smooth surface with no microscopic crevices that will allow crevice corrosion to take hold.

Stainless steel does not rust on the surfaces exposed to oxygen, but they do corrode and fail in an anaerobic environment, which is usually the part of the chainplate that is encased in the deck.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-06-2012
The Witchdoctor

medicrene is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my Hudson Force 50. I had pulled the chain plates and had them repaired. They welded another thick piece of stainless over the crack and extened the repair so that at least one bolt was also included in the repair area. It works fine.
Old 04-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
No, it's to achieve a totally smooth surface with no microscopic crevices that will allow crevice corrosion to take hold.

Stainless steel does not rust on the surfaces exposed to oxygen, but they do corrode and fail in an anaerobic environment, which is usually the part of the chainplate that is encased in the deck.
Polishing is not the same as ELECTROpolishing. The former merely makes the metal shiny and pretty. The latter is an electrical acid bath process that removes the iron molecules from a thin layer of the surface. This gives corrosion no place to start.

If you want nice, shiny AND corrosion proof chains, first get them cut, drilled & ground to final shape. Next, sand them and polish/buff with a wheel polisher. When they look like you want them, have them electropolished. When you get them back they will no longer have the perfect, shiny finish but a SMALL amount of buffing will bring it back.

You have to be careful with this last step as the protective layer is apparently only .001" to .0015" so you can buff right through it if you go to heavy on the final buffing.

I did mine this way years ago and they still look like they were just buffed.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
I had the same problem with my Hudson Force 50. I had pulled the chain plates and had them repaired. They welded another thick piece of stainless over the crack and extened the repair so that at least one bolt was also included in the repair area. It works fine.

Is it worth risking your rig, deck, crew and most importantly SELF, just to save the few extra bucks new chains would have cost you? It isn't that expensive to make new ones up. I would think it would be less than merely painting the bottom of that monster (just how many acres of wetted surface DO those boats have?).
mitiempo and StormBay like this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-07-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

i know this is an older thread but people may still be researching doing their own chainplates. i replaced all 8 of mine on my Alberg 30 this winter. i used 316ss and made them out of larger stock than factory units. Total cost was $80.00. that price included all the material. i was able to make all 8 from a 6ft piece of 1.5"x6'ft piece. obviously it would have cost more if i had someone else do it but i enjoyed the experience. i only polished mine...no plating. the factory 304 units lasted 40yrs so i figure my new much thicker and wider units should last me quite a while!

svsalacia.blogspot.com

My two lovely ladies!!