24' custom built glass on ply gaff rigged sloop damage assesment - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2011

Kmenex is on a distinguished road
24' custom built glass on ply gaff rigged sloop damage assesment

Greetings,

So i came across this beauty.. 24 foot gaff rigged sloop. Built 86 i hear, fort braggs CA (now in seattle WA) not sure though. She is wooden construction with ply on glass hull. Solid hull, interior framing looks solid, no rot yet. The glass on the cabin is starting to go, the **** pit needs a big overhaul. I fell for this boat even though she is low on head room and has a small cabin and needs work. Apparently was built to be a single handed salmon fisher (net).

She needs some TLC and repairs soon. She hasn't gotten to the mold and rot stage yet but is afast approaching as the external fiberglass delaminates, one more year without big TLC and she will enter into the point of unlikely return. Once that rot and mold starts getting inside it's all over.
In essence, i am posting here to get some input from more experienced people as to what they think about this project. I'm not looking to make a collectible "restored" beautiful boat, i'm looking to get her water-tight and strong, ready for adventure.

She leaks a bit from the cabin... no motor, no electronics. Would need a big systems overhaul in the electrical department. My idea was eventually to get an electric drive motor and battery bank (maybe super capacitors) and some solar panels. I also want to extend the cabin aft about 1.5 foot. There are two fuel tanks, about 40 gallons each and i was thinking of ripping those out and replacing the space with cabin space, maybe lift the cabin up a few inches also... Wondering if it's possible without sacrificing hull integrity.

Couple other things. Hasn't been surveyed... hasen't been dry docked in at least 8 years... not sure on the condition of keel bolts, ect... rudder was orginally a wheel, now a tiller.. rudder probably needs replacing.

The cockpit needs work, it's going quickly. Not really much left to say, i have attached pictures and video. Please tell me what you think.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2011

She is the dark one in the center

looking aft, starboard side, under the deck (fuel tank to the right)

cabin damage (external)

delaminating glass

starting to rot here.

Video (8 mins)
Old 02-12-2011

mikehradecky is on a distinguished road
That looks like a project. I'm guessing about $10,000. and 1,000 hours needed.

You should be able to find something much nicer.

I built a boat once, not much different than that one. It took me 8 years of free time and about $ 12,000. I should have just financed a nice new boat and enjoyed 8 years of sailing with my friends and family.

What you're contemplating is a huge commitment. And at the end, you still have an old plywood boat. I recommend putting on your fastest running shoes and get away from that money pit.

Look here Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
Old 02-12-2011

i hear ya on that.. many have said such already. The deck is actually not bad condition, just the cockpit region..

you really think 10k? i don't care for getting a motor and all that hooked up.

wish i had a few k spare to drop on a glass ready to sail.
Old 02-12-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The good news: she's still floating.
The bad news: She is never going to be worth what you put into her.
Even if she is free, she's too cheap.
Here's what I mean:
You're looking at this because you want a cheap boat that needs work. Usually, the reason that one wants a cheap boat that needs work is because one has time and skill, but not a lot of money. Worse, you have plans to modify her in addition to refitting her. Therefore, you're gonna be working on a bare bones budget, and trying to cut corners, which means that you're gonna be long on filling and drilling, epoxy, cheap lightweight fiberglass cloth and house paint, and short on scarphs, marine ply, okoume and teak. She'll look good during the first season after relaunch and then you'll spend the rest of your ownership chasing rot, and fixing your fixes until she finally becomes a lawn ornament, a bonfire, or somebody else's dream.

I hope you prove me wrong, because she looks like a boat worth saving.
Old 02-12-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Unless this boat just absolutely appeals to you and you want a project I would pass and look for something in better shape. This boat seems to be a lot of work. If you wrote out a list of what you think needs to be done and then compile a list of what you actually did to it, the second list would be about twice as long as the first.

Then again some people just really like a long lengthy project.
Old 02-12-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some boats have an actual real NEGATIVE VALUE This would be one of them.

Do not walk, but RUN AWAY from this boat. Even if you were given the boat for free, it would still have a negative real value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-12-2011

Little more about this. The plan was to work full time, live on THIS boat, dry dock it and invest most of the money made into repairing it over a period of 3 months. I know i know, there are warning signs about this idea everywhere.. But this is america, raised and grown on a low risk diet.

I do appreciate all the input though. She does need a lot of work

still sails though.
Old 02-12-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
The plan was to live on a boat about the size of a closet, that has most of the creature comforts ripped out because they are under repair?

Maybe you should search for an old cheap hunter or catalina that is in rough but sailable condition would be a better idea.
Old 02-12-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCK View Post
The plan was to live on a boat about the size of a closet, that has most of the creature comforts ripped out because they are under repair?

Maybe you should search for an old cheap hunter or catalina that is in rough but sailable condition would be a better idea.
And would provide a lot more living space.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.