Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-12-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
How far does 303 High Tech Fabric Guard Go?

Hello again, folks. I'm in a quandry (which is somewhat smaller than my dinghy and much less stable so the sooner I get out of it the better).

My mainsail cover was old, dirty, stained, the seams are falling apart, and the zipper was disintegrating. I found a new zipper online and had my local tailor put it in and restitched it for $80 labor (great gal, that one!) -- I washed it and now it looks pretty good. The only thing left is to waterproof it.

I did my homework and want to use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, but for the life of me I can't find coverage figures, not even on the 303 site! Can someone give me a clue how far this stuff goes, preferably in units my pitiful engineering mind can work with, say square feet per quart?
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
It's going to vary so much according to what you're spraying it on that coverage figures will always be wrong. It may cover 200 square meters of a tightly woven synthetic, where nothing is absorbed, and only 20 square meters of dry cotton that soaks up lots. If you paid for a new zipper and then another $80 to have it sewn on, and now have to buy five or six cans (who knows?) of fabric guard so you can end up with a mottled (from the fabric guard) sailcover... you may have been better off going to Omar the tentmaker for a new sailcover in the first place. Perhaps not. Depends how much fabric guard you need. But old fabric is likely to soak up more than new.

Last edited by paulk; 02-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Thanks, Paul

I had expected some variability but not that much.

Sadly, Omar the tentmaker does not live near N. VA. I was seeing my size of sailcover selling for around $450 when I looked. The fabric in my old one is in pretty good shape so I looked at repair and renewal instead. So far I have $100 invested in the zipper and labor. Even if I buy a gallon of 303 High Tech Fabric Guard for $100 at West Marine (or may $90 online -- I'm still looking), I'm still saving money.
Pasadena, MD
Old 02-14-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Can't give you coverage figures, but I can tell you that we were able to spray our entire dodger/bimini and enclosure pieces with a can, and that was with two coats. And... the stuff really works. Our bimini was really leeching water through prior to the re-waterproofing. It has been two years since we sprayed and we're still dry.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 02-14-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
This is what is says on the Amazon.com website:

Product Description
303 Fabric Guard - 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lasting water repellence to marine canvas. It stops leaks, protects against soiling and both water and oil-based stains, and resists mildew formation and RV sun damage. Spray on, let dry. Every 16 oz. treats 75-100 sq. ft. of marine canvas. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is also your best choice for fabric upholstery, carpeting and breathable wet weather gear.

Amazon has a pretty good price if you have Amazon Prime free shipping.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 02-14-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
On the defender site, they sell a 22 oz spray can of Armada and claim 100 sq ft for sunbrella. You get a larger can of Armada vs the 303. Don't know if there is any difference in quality.
Old 02-14-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Amazon has a pretty good price if you have Amazon Prime free shipping
Yup, been using the service since April 2010 and will renew again this year. I've become spoiled with Amazon Prime.
Old 02-14-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Yup, been using the service since April 2010 and will renew again this year. I've become spoiled with Amazon Prime.
I just ordered shaft zincs for $6 each. Combine that with free shipping an it is a deal.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.