SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

atomic 4

7K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  jwellsfamily4 
#1 ·
SOS
I am a woman and have been stranded dockside due to non-running 1976 ericson with an old faithfull atomic 4. It starts, idles rough then dies when the throttle handle is moved. I have checked the fuel pump(which is clear), changed the plugs (which was coated with black stuff) and fuel filter. The choke works (moves back and forth like it should). Checked for sparks between the plugs and the wires and stared at it for many hours hoping it will start and even fiddled with the idle needle valve. Is there any hope but to remove the carb?
I am having serious withdrawal symptoms from not sailing! any help would be apppreciated.

#27 ·
This engine is too simple to not run without an obvious reason.

1. Be sure you have done a full tune up - wires, plugs, condensor, rotor, cap, and points. Set timing by turning distributor at 8oo rpm to the fastest idle. That''s good enough on timing.

2. Clean out sediment bowl.

3. Replace or install fuel filter

4. Install an electric fuel pump

5. rebuild or replace carb

6. replace coil

7. engine now runs. If you are giving it good gas it can''t do anything else at this point. If you have done all of the above and it still does not run right, God is telling you to put in a diesel because you cannot work with the A4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.