Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2003

jed is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

Thanks,

I did rebuild the carb, but did not put it on. I placed the marine shop new one on instead. I figured this should work.

I keep hoping it will start to run like magic. Time to break out the incense and chants.

By the way. Does anyone have any ideas of what type of diesel eng. can fit into a 76 ericson without altering the motor mounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2003

atomic 4

TO Tumbleweed 35?
I did not intend to use sailnet as ebay. The offer for sale is made in complete frustration. If I can get a diesel or work out an electric install, the monster can be had at fair market value. ($0)
E mail me at Jwellsfamily4@yahoo.com and if the monster is taken out (probable at this point) I will let you know what that may be.

Old 07-02-2003

tiz_1 is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

I feel your pain. I had similar experience with an A4.

You did not mention checking the ignition TIMING. Be sure this is correct (consult manual). The blackened spark plugs and inability to start cold (I assume) with the choke tell me that the engine is either way out of timing (too retarded) or getting too much fuel. The spark plug insulators should be light brown in color when all is well. On mine, I found that there was too much coil output which could not be contained by the distributor cover so arcing resulted and it ran rough.

There are drop in diesel replacements for A4 gas engines. Search on the internet and also look at:

http://www.betamarinenc.com/atomic.htm

--Kevin
Old 07-03-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

Westerbeke has replacements for the A4. www.westerbeke.com
Old 07-03-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

I can''t believe that theres not a person in texas that wouldn''t help a lady in distress by the way you are ignoring the fact that the motor has a vacumn leak which would also cuase it to run rich and not respone to the throttle,did you install a new gasket on the carb base when you exchanged it.Sorry I''m not near for a few beers the basic checks could be done in about thirty minutes.
Old 07-03-2003

jwellsfamily4 is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

Good idea on the vacume leak. All new gaskets where used when the carb was exchanged. Could a vacume leak come from some other place, and if so how can you check for it. (soap bubbles?)

Old 07-07-2003

KenD is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

SORRY I''ve been sailing all weekend an just got back. You could have a leak from almost anywhere like the vacuum advance hose or line depending on what you are looking at also the intake manifold could be loose or have a blown gasket speaking of blown gaskets have you checked the oil if it''s white an foamy looking you might have a head gasket leak or blown out between cylinders and the water jacket. Check the cheap things first,air line leaks etc just because it''s metal does not mean it can''t leak hope this helps by the way. if you take a turkey baster with clean fresh water and squirt around the manifold the water will stop the leak for a second the engine will sound normal not too much water it won''t compress like gas
Old 07-07-2003

CRGentry is on a distinguished road
atomic 4

Forget that damned engine and go sailing with your old buddy Chuck!!

We''ll go sailing this weekend after my company leaves. I''m dying to get my sea legs back.
Old 07-09-2003

atomic 4

Sure chuck;
Prepare for the maiden voyage as a sailing prurist. We leave if the winds allow this saturday just like the great expolorers before atomic 4 was born.

Old 07-13-2003

atomic 4

Well...... the story continues. The atomic 4 now runs. After testing again: The fuel pump, coil, distributor, spark plugs,, spark plug wires, condenser, points, and compression. All where found to work.
Compression on cylinder one is 90, cylinder 2 is 90, 3 and 4 are 110. Unfortunately it only runs when spark plug #1 is out of the block. This results in massive fume buildup in the boat, but it actually runs.

Now, some more help please. I am a bit stumped.
Why would it do this? I have 4 sparkplugs in and it will not run. I take one out at it does.
Some dockside experts say this could be anything from a blown head gasket, to a stuck valve, a warped or cracked head, or gunk on the rings?

I put marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes while I meditate on this once again.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.