Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Port Moody, BC
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
Simpson-Lawrence Manual Windlass Parts
We went to the Vancouver Boat Show, yesterday. For the most part, we had a great time. The exception was trying to find spare parts for our manual windlass.
As background, last summer, my buddy and I took a close look at it, for the first time. While it can still get our anchor up, you don't hear the ratcheting sound that you would expect to hear. Our best guess was that the pawl springs probably need to be replaced. Then the story begins!
- A Google Search for Simpson-Lawrence turns up nothing. Nada. Squat!
- One of our local chandleries can get a manual windlass by Lofrans. This may be the ultimate solution, but I don't want to go there, just yet.
When we stopped by the Lewmar booth, I learned that:
- Simpson-Lawrence acquired Lewmar, and essentially has become Lewmar.
- They don't make manual windlasses anymore. As an aside, after stopping at several booths, it appears that nobody except Lofrans does either.
- A former Simpson-Lawrence employee was given the rights to sell spares. The Lewmar rep was even kind enough to give me the link to his site.
- Unfortunately, the site is no longer there.
I'm really reluctant to give up on our current windlass for several reasons:
- From what I can see, the only things required are pawl springs. Everything else appears to be in working order.
- Electric windlasses are a lot more expensive.
- I know several folks who recently installed electric windlasses. They all wish they had stayed with manual windlasses.
So this leads me to ask if:
Anyone knows where one can acquire spare parts for this?
- Failing that, would a spring for a Lewmar windlass work? This is a long shot, but I want to eliminate the possibility.
- Anyone knows of any other manual windlass manufacturers?
I may have posted something about this a few months ago, but I really want to explore all alternatives to replacing it. Just call me cheap!
Thanks in advance for your help!
Port Moody, BC
It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.