Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2011

willynilly is on a distinguished road
Ten four. I'll check out what they like at the yard for the packing. It's two and a half hours away, but we're still a month ahead of schedule. I should get a look tonight. As far as the blisters go, the photos look good, the few open blisters have gel coat underneath, there was a spot that will need epoxy from a crab pot strike, and I'm told the rudder is in good shape. They will start the bottom paint next week, and we are expecting Spring weather.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011

Trying to post an image, but we have trouble getting AM radio out here, much less a fast connection!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest letting it dry out for a month under a tarp ...and meanwhilst attend to other smaller projects...then let them do the bottom job...(if you can afford the extra month)...

The paint and barrier coat will stick and absorb much better at that point IMHO...

I am getting ready to haul out my Seafarer 24 and plan on 4-6 weeks drying time before I do any painting but she's a fairly ancient hull from 1971 and I want to insure good adhesion since the bottom paint on her from her '05 bottom job by earlier owner now is literally peeling off in fairly large strips. Good luck

Last edited by souljour2000; 02-15-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2011

Thanks, SJ2K. The yard will take it's time, doing the bronze, zinc, and through hull work first. Should be a few weeks before they start the sanding and prep. Meanwile, I'll prep the deck and brightwork for paint and varnish, and a new dodger will be the cherry atop the dessert!
Old 02-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Something I will do on the next haul out, altho a good diver can do this. If you have a max prop or equal, and want/need to change out the pitch, this is a good time, or for that matter, change from a fixed to a folding/feathering prop for a bit more lighter air performance. I' going to add one pitch adjustment to my max prop to see if I can get a bit more speed out of the boat.

Otherwise, lots of good advise to chew over!

marty
Old 02-15-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
After cleaning the prop and shaft, paint both with 3-4 coats of this stuff http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1179320.pdf
and they will stay barnucle free for at least six months or more, depending on local conditions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.