Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-14-2011

KINGZ is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down New Learning Sailor, Cold Weather Gear

For my (long time) Fiancťe Birthday and not so romantic part of her valentines I got her and our family membership at the community Sailing Center her in Clearwater FL. Something that she could teach her and our kids down the road.

Well first things first, Iím a horrible teacher, so Iím leaving it to the pros to get her started so I have some classes planned for her, this coming weekend a 4 hour day, two day class on the basics, (6 hours on the water), with temp ~75deg and water around ~59 deg. After that, starting a one day a week class 4 hours a day (4 classes) to learn more basic handling and sailing with an introduction to racing. After that another set of classes to get her more advanceÖ so she will be in some COLD water..

So here what Iím looking for, I need something to keep her warm, she donít like the cold and she gets cold easy, and I know she is going to get wet, no mater what and she wont like that.. so Iím looking at a wetsuit, I have some shorties for her, but thatís not enough, thinking full wet suit.. so Iím looking for brand, size type, something that wont restrict her movement to much. Or any better ideas.

She is 5í2Ē usually tipping the scales at 115-120lb but we had a last baby just over a month ago. So she is 135lb, So I might buy used since she usually gets back down to her weight in 4-6 months, and wont be needing that size long.

Also any wet shoes you suggest that can be used on water/sand/boats/canvas, and keep her feet warm. No she wont be using them as deck shoes,Ö

Also her first class two day class she can use these boats: 15í Monohull Sloops (JY15), 12, 14, 16, Hobie Catamarans gataway or Access Dinghies (I think itís a Opti Pram)Ö Since itís a two days class, she probably gets to use two different ones I would think. Donít know, but if she gets to chose which ones would you suggest she learned on. Iím really not familiar with anyone of these, my first boat I learned on a long time ago was a 27 foot monohull so this going to be different.

Iím also sending our 9, 10, 11 and 17 year olds out for classes later next month, but just the basic, then will have her teach them from her other classes she takes, from there if any of them like it, will let them join up with one of the teams there.

Yea I know itís a long threadÖ with just some basic questions but got some more..

I will also be taking just the basic classes with her, just to be with her and support her, now mind you Iím 6í6Ē 380-390lb (and loosing) Iím thinking the only thing that will hold my weight out of that group is the 16 hobie, I know an 18 be better but they donít have one. Any heavy weight sailors out there with suggest, as for the cold it does not affect me as much, use to cold white water kayak back in the day.. guess more insulation LOL also looking for a Life jacket, something good for movement that will work with someone as big as I am.

Just a recap on (sorry again so long)
1. how to keep wife warm
2. what bands you suggest
3. what size for her
4. what boat should she learn on
5. any life jackets to fit my fat tail.

Thanks
KINGZ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2011

Don't flame.. yes I see the error in the title and miss spelling in the body, should have proof read first.
Old 02-14-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
What error in the title??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-14-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
If she doesn't like to be wet or cold - maybe you should try to find her some lessons on a bigger boat (25+) so she can learn while staying dry in the cockpit.

The worst thing that can happen is that she ends up hating sailing because she thinks it's only about being wet and cold and frustrated. Either that or wait 'til summer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-14-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
if you poke around the forums you will find a lot on this. layer up... im partial to the gill stuff, you can read all about it here:

Foul weather gear - clueless as what to buy

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 02-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
If she doesn't like to be wet or cold - maybe you should try to find her some lessons on a bigger boat (25+) so she can learn while staying dry in the cockpit.

The worst thing that can happen is that she ends up hating sailing because she thinks it's only about being wet and cold and frustrated. Either that or wait 'til summer?
Donít get me wrong she loves the water and beach life, I got a house on the water just because she likes the beach so much, and her favor beach to go to is next to the Clearwater community sailing Center and she always was interested in learning to sale. She is also excited about taking classes and teach our kids, Itís just that she has very little tolerance to the cold.. So Iím just trying to keep her as warm as possible!!!!!!!!! dont get her sometimes during the summer she keeps our house at 70-72deg durrring the winter she keeps it at 78-80deg. lol

If she likes it then I have my cal 24' sail boat fixed back up and moved here.
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGZ View Post
For my (long time) Fiancťe Birthday and not so romantic part of her valentines I got her and our family membership at the community Sailing Center her in Clearwater FL. Something that she could teach her and our kids down the road.

Well first things first, I’m a horrible teacher, so I’m leaving it to the pros to get her started so I have some classes planned for her, this coming weekend a 4 hour day, two day class on the basics, (6 hours on the water), with temp ~75deg and water around ~59 deg. After that, starting a one day a week class 4 hours a day (4 classes) to learn more basic handling and sailing with an introduction to racing. After that another set of classes to get her more advance… so she will be in some COLD water..
You're being very wise here... generally a bad idea to teach one's SO to sail.

Quote:
So here what I’m looking for, I need something to keep her warm, she don’t like the cold and she gets cold easy, and I know she is going to get wet, no mater what and she wont like that.. so I’m looking at a wetsuit, I have some shorties for her, but that’s not enough, thinking full wet suit.. so I’m looking for brand, size type, something that wont restrict her movement to much. Or any better ideas.

She is 5’2” usually tipping the scales at 115-120lb but we had a last baby just over a month ago. So she is 135lb, So I might buy used since she usually gets back down to her weight in 4-6 months, and wont be needing that size long.

Also any wet shoes you suggest that can be used on water/sand/boats/canvas, and keep her feet warm. No she wont be using them as deck shoes,…

Also her first class two day class she can use these boats: 15’ Monohull Sloops (JY15), 12, 14, 16, Hobie Catamarans gataway or Access Dinghies (I think it’s a Opti Pram)… Since it’s a two days class, she probably gets to use two different ones I would think. Don’t know, but if she gets to chose which ones would you suggest she learned on. I’m really not familiar with anyone of these, my first boat I learned on a long time ago was a 27 foot monohull so this going to be different.
Start by reading the post I wrote on
Foul Weather and Clothing on my blog.

Unfortunately, the clothing you need for a dinghy/beach catamaran is going to be quite different than what you'd need on a keelboat. Dinghies and beach cats tend to capsize fairly often and easily. I'd recommend she learn on the 15' JY15s if at all possible

Hobie beach cats aren't a great boat for learning on because they tend to have things happen too quickly in some ways...partially due to their speed and partially due to their nature--they are not stable boats. (BTW, if some idiot is going to compare a beach cat to a cruising sized-multihull, he should be looking to compare Moth Foilers to cruising sized monohulls...)

I would recommend getting her a wetsuit to wear if she's going on the Access dinghies or beach cats... That's probably going to be the most comfortable and warmest gear for her under those conditions. She might be able to get away with regular clothing on the JY15s, but is probably better off with a wetsuit as her base outfit..

Quote:
I’m also sending our 9, 10, 11 and 17 year olds out for classes later next month, but just the basic, then will have her teach them from her other classes she takes, from there if any of them like it, will let them join up with one of the teams there.

Yea I know it’s a long thread… with just some basic questions but got some more..

I will also be taking just the basic classes with her, just to be with her and support her, now mind you I’m 6’6” 380-390lb (and loosing) I’m thinking the only thing that will hold my weight out of that group is the 16 hobie, I know an 18 be better but they don’t have one. Any heavy weight sailors out there with suggest, as for the cold it does not affect me as much, use to cold white water kayak back in the day.. guess more insulation LOL also looking for a Life jacket, something good for movement that will work with someone as big as I am.

Just a recap on (sorry again so long)
1. how to keep wife warm
2. what bands you suggest
3. what size for her
4. what boat should she learn on
5. any life jackets to fit my fat tail.

Thanks
KINGZ
As for lifejackets, considering the boats you're going to be on, get something like a kayaking or PWC PFD, rather than a sailing one. They are likely going to get wet and you don't want to be using an inflatable.

My favorite boats for teaching people to sail on is something like a Sonar or Soling.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2011

mtboat is on a distinguished road
cold weather gear

I have some info on drysuits vs. wetsuits, booted or not, goretex or not, etc.
Having been a whitewater guide in Montana, I have had to deal with cold water often,( we floated with snow on the banks). In my opinion, a drysuit with two layers of fleece and some wetsuit booties is warm enough for anything. I have a lot of gear from Northwest River Supply, and most sailors haven't heard of them. Many types of pfd's and drysuit
/wetsuit options. I have a NRS Extreme drysuit, and it fits loosely to accommodate other layers, has built in rubber footies, and I wear wetsuit booties over that to protect the suit. Goretex is a must.
Dry is warm. I froze my ass off in wetsuits.
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Drysuits are a bit overkill for 75 degree air and nearly 60 degree waters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboat View Post
I have some info on drysuits vs. wetsuits, booted or not, goretex or not, etc.
Having been a whitewater guide in Montana, I have had to deal with cold water often,( we floated with snow on the banks). In my opinion, a drysuit with two layers of fleece and some wetsuit booties is warm enough for anything. I have a lot of gear from Northwest River Supply, and most sailors haven't heard of them. Many types of pfd's and drysuit
/wetsuit options. I have a NRS Extreme drysuit, and it fits loosely to accommodate other layers, has built in rubber footies, and I wear wetsuit booties over that to protect the suit. Goretex is a must.
Dry is warm. I froze my ass off in wetsuits.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-14-2011

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
you posted your wife's weight on the internet? I hope she doesn't come across this post =)