Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-14-2011

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Whale Gusher 10

We have just installed a Gusher 10 MK 3 Manual Bilge pump and it will not work. It was being used in the past as a transfer pump on a level installation, and worked just fine. Does anyone know how much lift this pump should have? We have checked all hoses but have not taken it apart to check the valves.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I seriously doubt the lift is the issue, since the specifications say it is good for 4 m (13.5 ft) of self-priming or max head. Of course, if you're using non-smooth wall hose, this will be less.

I would also recommend you learn how to use Google.com. My first search for "whale gusher mk 10 specifications" found the Whale website page for the pump with all the specifications. Also, would recommend you read the POST in my signature to learn how to get the most out of sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-14-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
We have just installed a Gusher 10 MK 3 Manual Bilge pump and it will not work. It was being used in the past as a transfer pump on a level installation, and worked just fine. Does anyone know how much lift this pump should have? We have checked all hoses but have not taken it apart to check the valves.
Most likely there's a problem with the check valves. If it was working properly before, taking it out of its previous location, and reinstalling it in its new location, may have knocked a stray bit of gunk so that its now between the valve and its seat. Since you have to take the diaphragm off to look at the valves anyway, look closely for cracks in the diaphragm; sometimes such cracks are far from obvious.

Quote:
I seriously doubt the lift is the issue, since the specifications say it is good for 4 m (13.5 ft) of self-priming or max head. Of course, if you're using non-smooth wall hose, this will be less.
While the smoothness of the hose will influence flow rate, it should have little or no effect on the max head. Max head is a function of the vacuum that a pump can generate without any fluid in it (i.e., "dry"), with the max possible for water being about 10 meters. Since the pressure difference between the pump and the intake end of the hose doesn't really depend upon the flow rate of the air in the hose, smoothness isn't important for max head.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-14-2011

kismetc30 is on a distinguished road
make sure..

you did not plumb it backwards.
Old 02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post

I would also recommend you learn how to use Google.com. My first search for "whale gusher mk 10 specifications" found the Whale website page for the pump with all the specifications. Also, would recommend you read the POST in my signature to learn how to get the most out of sailnet.
I used google and did find a neat exploded diagram. Searched for a manual, and could not find one, neither did I see the specs. Thank you for the info. on the lift specs. Sailingdog. Sorry to bother you. By the way, Google has been working just fine for me for several years, I obviously missed it and will try again.

It is plumbed properly, but I will check again today just to make certain. We are using smooth surface hose with double clamps. We have a kit and will check the valves. The pump is in tight quarters, in the only available location, and cannot be serviced in place, as we have a very traditional cutter and not much room in the cockpit. Before we take it out we wanted all the suggestions available.
Old 02-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Marine : Whale Pumps 12V Henderson Plumbing Bilge Diaphragm Submersible Pressure Water Systems Marine Caravan RV Shower Drain Portable Sanitation Purging Groundwater Solutions Voltage Electric

Most manufacturers have instructions and manuals on their site

Last edited by mitiempo; 02-15-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-15-2011

Thank You mitiempo, it is much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
I have had mine do this twice now. It does not take much for it to lose suction. Try sucking on the inlet side. You should not be able to get *any* air. Try blowing on the outlet side, you should not be able to blow *any* air. If either of these tests fails, you have to rebuild the pump. One of the "flaps" is not sealing properly. I normally just have to take it apart and clean it. If the rubber is at all brittle, or you cannot get the flaps to seal, buy the rebuild kit and rebuild the pump.

If both the tests work, but you still cannot pump, I would suspect a hold in the hose. Try sucking on the hose form the bilge and see if you can notice a leak. Also blow on the output hose and make sure it is not blocked.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 02-15-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Ensure that your diaphram is not damaged. They don't last forever and if the pump previously pulled any oil contaminates the vales and/or diaphram may have deteriored enough to allow an air leak, however minor. They are certainly not very sophisticated pumps, hence their reliability, but they do tend to deteriorate over time.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-15-2011

Checked the plumbing again and it is correct. Pulled the pump and found some corrosion around the valves, but I am not sure it is enough to prevent it from working. Found the valves to be a bit stiff. Cleaned the pump and re-surfaced the outlet plate with JB Weld where there were minor pits. I have a kit, but may need a new out flow plate also. Found no issues with the diagram, but will be replacing it along with the valves since the installation and removal is really difficult.

If this works, with an off the boat test first, I will probably order a new exhaust valve plate and a new kit for a spare.

Thanks to all for the prompt support and suggestions, it is much appreciated.

Last edited by Leocat66; 02-15-2011 at 05:42 PM.