Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-14-2011

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Cored wood bulkhead on C&C 24

While pumping the bilge on my C&C 24 I noticed a couple of raised blisters on my interior cabin wall near the starboard window. I have a tarp over the cabin to the mast. Could I have moisture entering the bulkhead from either the mast or handrail and expanding as it froze in the bulkhead? Is there any way to repair or reduce damage? thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If the window or handrail is leaking that should be the first fix. The cabin side damage should be obvious when the window is removed. Hopefully it has not spread too far. The fix is to remove the wet core and replace it with new dry core using epoxy resin.
Old 02-16-2011

Thanks, I reset the windows when I bought it 4 Years ago but it may be leaking again. I was just surprised that with a new tarp over the window it would leak and if so that the blisters would be even with and forward of the window. I thought it would blister below the ledge. There was a damp water mark on the cushion below the window so it must be leaking again near the top of the window. I used a G.E. Sealant(Ultraseal) and not a butyl window gasket. That was after making the mistake of using silicone sealant and having it leak like a sieve. Sometimes it doesn't pay to take the cheaper,easy fix.
Old 02-16-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you used a silicone-caulk/sealant, then you're going to have to sand the gelcoat to get rid of the silicone contaminants. Washing or cleaning with solvent isn't really sufficient, and anything else you use will have trouble bonding properly unless you sand the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab211 View Post
Thanks, I reset the windows when I bought it 4 Years ago but it may be leaking again. I was just surprised that with a new tarp over the window it would leak and if so that the blisters would be even with and forward of the window. I thought it would blister below the ledge. There was a damp water mark on the cushion below the window so it must be leaking again near the top of the window. I used a G.E. Sealant(Ultraseal) and not a butyl window gasket. That was after making the mistake of using silicone sealant and having it leak like a sieve. Sometimes it doesn't pay to take the cheaper,easy fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011

Thanks, I'll have to properly clean it up and maybe replace the window. In my defense before using the ultraglaze, I scraped, used acetone and sanded the window surface but the gelcoat was badly chipped by someone previously removing the window. I use paint and decal tape to cosmetically hide it but the fit was poor and I'm sure this added to the leaking. They actually used machine Nuts and bolts to reattach the windows without any sealant. The windows leaked badly and the cushions were ruined. I subsequently got the boat cheap and had to have the cushions reupholstered.Hopefully I'll get a good seal this time.

Last edited by ahab211; 02-17-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2012

JeepCollector91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cored wood bulkhead on C&C 24

If anyone needs any parts for a 1977 C&C 24, I finally gave up on selling mine whole and am beginning to part it out this week. Not looking forward to cutting up a perfectly good boat but at least all of the parts will be available to help keep other boats on the water.

Old 07-28-2012

kendrick2 is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in some parts you may have I would like the bimini and would like to know if you have a roller furling I can not PM but you can reach me at 845-325-9038 or email nancykendrick@aol.com
Thanks
Nancy
Old 07-29-2012

jcase12 is on a distinguished road

I have had to reseal my windows 3 times! The last time I decide to remove the core about a 1/4 inch past the mounting points for the window and fillit with epoxy thickened with high density filler and long strand glass (for strength). This did two things...eliminated the exposed core around the edge of the window. So if it did leak again the water would not enter the core. Also it created a much stronger base for the mounting of the window so hopefully it wont leak again.
Old 07-29-2012

Bob Cronin is on a distinguished road

I am getting leaks on my C&C24 . they are coming from the holes for the screws
that secure the hand rails on the cabin top. I rebedded the hand rails in bedding compound, put the screws back and that solved the issue. The deck (but not the hull) on C&C 24's - is balsa cored. I know of nothing to do about balsa cores that get wet. My friend has a C&C 34 with a balsa cored hull that he cannot sell because of the issue with balsa cored hulls.
Old 10-19-2012

anerussis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cronin View Post
I am getting leaks on my C&C24 . they are coming from the holes for the screws
that secure the hand rails on the cabin top. I rebedded the hand rails in bedding compound, put the screws back and that solved the issue. The deck (but not the hull) on C&C 24's - is balsa cored. I know of nothing to do about balsa cores that get wet. My friend has a C&C 34 with a balsa cored hull that he cannot sell because of the issue with balsa cored hulls.
There is absolutely nothing that will not sell! You can sell just about anything if the price is right. Just bought my C&C for a song which was less then 50% of the asking price because it was extremely dirty being dry-docked for two years close to large maple trees. it's windows also leaked, the companion hatchway was extremely damaged and the cockpit locker lids are soft- within 2 days of my purchase I repaired the windows and made a new door by simply using the old as a template. After power washing it I was actually very pleasantly surprised on how crisp and white it now looks. It's way beyond me why some people set a price way beyond of what they would actually accept and thus discouraging most buyers from even making an offer.