Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-19-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I hate 'call for price' but considering the way the prices of solar panels and most metals (i.e. the aluminum structural tubing) have fluctuated in the past few years...Maybe that's the only way to avoid posting changes all over the web every two days while staying competitive?

And i suspect that like many vendors, they have "show special" prices on the demo units they take around to boat shows.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2011

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

This is the thread where the thing first appeared on SailNet (started by Xort).

I was trying to spare the OP the gory details, but since the can has been opened...

Oh nice, blame it all on me!

IIRC, Conky Joe didn't have a financial connection to Solar Stik. I think there was some sort of personal connection but no official involvement by Solar Stick in Joe's website.

It seems that the upshot is that the product is rather expensive and requires tending to get the most of it's capabilities, which has been mentioned here already. If you have limited mounting space, it may be the best alternative.

Enjoy reading the original thread. It should only take a few days.
I'll be back in 6 months to check up on y'all!
Old 02-19-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post

IIRC, Conky Joe didn't have a financial connection to Solar Stik. I think there was some sort of personal connection but no official involvement by Solar Stick in Joe's...
Weren't there two that took a bullet in that thread? Conchy and Lalelu? Ah the good old days of passive-aggressive "moderation".

Man am I glad things took a turn for the better.

And didn't Conchy come back and apologize for everything at AS? I'd say that guy has some class... especially after falling victim to the old "bait-and-ban".

Good times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-21-2011

CruiserJoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post

IIRC, Conky Joe didn't have a financial connection to Solar Stik. I think there was some sort of personal connection but no official involvement by Solar Stick in Joe's website.

It seems that the upshot is that the product is rather expensive and requires tending to get the most of it's capabilities, which has been mentioned here already. If you have limited mounting space, it may be the best alternative.

Enjoy reading the original thread. It should only take a few days.
I'll be back in 6 months to check up on y'all!
Like XORT said, Brian and I are very good friends, along with a large village of Marine Industry Veterans. As a matter of fact I saw him, along with Boatbabe, as well as other folks that stand behind the Solar Stik and the technology behind it this past weekend at Strictly Sail Miami.

Unfortunately Mr. Sailingdog has been stuck on semantics, when the rest of us has moved along.

I would submit that given the info in this thread reinforces why MR Sailingdog has little to no idea what he is talking about, as he has never seen, used, tested, or otherwise had any interaction with the Solar Stik.

So let's stick with the facts:

1. Solar Stik, although developed for sailors by sailors, has proven somewhat expensive for the typical cruising budget.

2. Solar Stik operates as advertised, and can and does give a 60% to 100% in a typical day improvement in solar panel efficiency over the same solar panel laid flat. One of those conditions is the fact that the Solar Stik panels are in the air, and remain cooler than when laid flat on a surface. This also aids in the efficiency.

3. Solar Stik has actually been wildly popular in Military arenas, and has around 500 units deployed, along with other options that allow it to become a "mini-grid", and allow attachment from generators, and other power sources, including auto starting a properly equipped generator when alternative power is needed.

Like others like LeLaLu and Remetau that ACTUALLY have and Solar Stik and ACTUALLY have used the Solar Stik, and everyone agrees, the Solar Stik operates as advertised, and the only downfall other than semantics expressed by Mr. Sailigdog, is the price.

SVPrarieRose I wish you the best with your decision.

Fair winds...
Old 02-21-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
What Have I started?

I am debating between a stick and a small arch that also serves as davits for inshore sailing. I am leaning towards the arch for the versatility, but the stick seems to be a solid unit. Thanks everyone for chiming in, and SD, I appreciate the scepticism, gotta keep 'em honest.
Old 02-21-2011
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
NOOOOOOoooooooooo here we go again

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-05-2011
Solar Stik tech

H2Ocruizers is on a distinguished road
prices

Good afternoon, All!

The prices range from $3,250 to $3,500, depending on the system. I don't want to get into trouble here as we are not currently advertising on the Sailnet site, (we usually advertise April-June for marine systems)...

If you need more specifics about costing, I invite you to contact us at the office... in fact, if you mention this thread, I'll see to it that you get free shipping on top of it.

To get past the "guards at the gate", you can ask for me personally if you need to.

Remeteau... give me a quick call on the tech support number when you have a few minutes.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2011
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Ocruizers View Post
Good afternoon, All!

The prices range from $3,250 to $3,500, depending on the system. I don't want to get into trouble here as we are not currently advertising on the Sailnet site, (we usually advertise April-June for marine systems)...

If you need more specifics about costing, I invite you to contact us at the office... in fact, if you mention this thread, I'll see to it that you get free shipping on top of it.

To get past the "guards at the gate", you can ask for me personally if you need to.

Remeteau... give me a quick call on the tech support number when you have a few minutes.

Cheers!

THANK YOU BRIAN for posting this. It addresses my specific concern about "Call for pricing," and will probably improve the ratio of good leads to "tire-kickers" from the calls that you receive.

However, to stay on Sailnet's good side, I hope that you advertise on Sailnet as planned.

I understand that prices may change without notice. etc. Bla, bla bla...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-05-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
THANK YOU BRIAN for posting this. It addresses my specific concern about "Call for pricing," and will probably improve the ratio of good leads to "tire-kickers" from the calls that you receive.

However, to stay on Sailnet's good side, I hope that you advertise on Sailnet as planned.

I understand that prices may change without notice. etc. Bla, bla bla...
+1.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-23-2011

hank2222 is on a distinguished road
Ok here is my two cents on the Solar Stik set up..

First off i'm not a salior by any means along with my reason for joining this website was to read reviews of some of the products i chose to put into the kitchen and bathroom of my place ..

So my means for use it in the area of dealing bad weather problems to make power to recharge my bank after a bad weather ..

Where i have my house in Tx it is part of the State Hurricane and Torando Alley and i learned over the year to have a safe place to go and stay because of dealing with bad weather problems there through the years

So i made the indside of the place the torando shelter look like a high end sailing yachet or rv with all the applainces from the sailboat and rv world inside the place that where 110.volt or 120.volt along with 12.volt dc items in the place to make it more liveable dureing time i would have to live there if a torando took the house .. .. ..

With all the appliances that are the highest energy star rated as i can get them in the area of 110.or 120.volt appliances ..

I figure if i had to live in the place i wanted it to be comfortable for the long haul when i'm liveing there and it was outfited with alot of basic creature comforts items from the kitchen to the bathroom to combo bedroom and liveing room area in the place with alot of the socalled Rv and Sailboat world items ..

The reason why i chose solar stik company because of them working with me and we came up with the basic sized package that i need and it can be put up and broken down as need and stored in the shelter to recharge the shelter bank along with basic fact that they are man protable makes them a nice feature also in my book ..

My daily avg wattage is about 850 watts dureing normal day to day life there and on the days i would call bakeing and laundry days and it goes up to 1400.watts that day because of useing the stove to bake bread and other dish and useing of the combo laundry machine ..

So that why i chose the Solar Stik 100 model brezze with solar panels and given the facts that you can aim the panels to get the most out of them in the long days of summer is one of the best ideas also ..

If you go to PVWatts and use there system for how many sun hours a day your getting also help ..in the area of TX where i'm getting about on avg is around 2.kw hours a day in the winter time and summer time is about 6 kw hours more than enough to recharge the battery bank at my place

So that my two cents on the subect