Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-17-2011

nolasailor is on a distinguished road
packing leak

i have a 31 niagara with the westerbeke 21 built in 84. Is there a way to find out what size packin i need, dont wont to remove old if i dont have replacement in hand, I was told i could do in while still in the water, Bilge pump is kicking on about every 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I have a Perkins 4-108 and the shaft diameter is 1 1/4 inches. Per some packing guidelines it says that normally I would be using 1/4 flax, however I was never able to get that size into the stuffing box and went with 3/16. When I first did the packing I had several sizes available and also all pre cut.
Old 02-17-2011

Piratesoul is on a distinguished road
stuff non-hardening plumbers putty in the stern tube and measure the distance between the shaft and the stuffing box

"Climb theWind"
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do you have a good set of calipers? If so, you can measure the shaft and then remove the nut, measure the inner diameter of the stuffing box, and then put the nut back, and go get the packing you need. Get the Gore-tex GFO packing material, rather than the flax stuff. It can usually be adjusted so the gland doesn't drip at rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
All good advice but I wouldn,t try it in the water.
Been packing pumps and seals for years and now and then things can go badly wrong.
Play safe, take her out or at least find a dry mooring or scrubing posts.
Safe sailing
Old 02-17-2011
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I replaced mine with the boat in the water, it actually let in far less water then I would have thought (of course each gland could be different, YMMC, UAYOR, etc.) As mentioned before there is more risk of additional complications causing major problems (torque the back half of the packing gland out of its fitting perhaps?) But as long as you are careful, it is doable in the water.

As for the size, I tried measuring with calipers as suggested, but either do to my poor access to the area or bad math skills, it did not help much. I ended up buying three packages of packing before I got the right size.

BTW, when my packing was leaking a lot while out on a long trip and away from marine stores, I learned a great tip from an old slat I meet along the way....

To temporarily fix a leaking packing gland, get some all cotton underwear (any similar thin all cotton cloth will do, but that is what was likely to be handy on the boat) and cut some thin strips, loosen the nut, wrap the strips around the prop shaft and push them up into the nut and then tighten it back down. We did that and it worked great! (After an incredible amount of frustration trying to get the strips to stay in place with water coming in and trying to wash it away...) Of course this is a temp fix, but I left it in over the winter, used the boat a few more times (keeping a close eye on the packing) and replaced the packing in the spring. Sad thing was it seems much harder to get the packing tension right with the real packing vs. the cotton cloth! I am sure it would wear out fast if used a whole lot, but if you just want to stop the leak while the boat is sitting around waiting you for you replace the packing, I think this would work well for you and you can still use the boat with it a little if needed.
Old 02-17-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Any time you're working on something below the waterline, be it the stuffing box, a transducer, or a thru-hull/seacock, once water starts coming into the boat it ALWAYS seems like a deluge. In reality, unless you open things up and let the ocean pour in for an extended period (more than a several minutes at a time) you're not gonna sink the boat. In fact, most jobs can be finished long before more than 5 or 10 gallons get on the wrong side of the hull. Just stuff a rag, a bit of foam rubber, or even some tightly wadded up paper towels into the offending void and fix whatever you have to. If need be, recruit a friend or spouse to apply a not-so-sterile dressing and some direct pressure on the open wound while you run to the chandlery or hardware store to get the necessary bits.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-17-2011

nolasailor is on a distinguished road
after buying two of the adjustable packing nut wrenches, and about 4 hours of aggrivation i have come to the conclusion that i cant even losen the packing nuts. I know that there are two nuts locked against one another, and the first must be losend to tighten the other, but i cannot even get a wrench on either to do. I have a vee drive so it is under the block. the locking nuts location will not allow the wrench to go on with out hitting the block or either the hull, i looked at several different types, but cant find what i am looking for. Do they make a Crows foot type wrench that size, that is the only whay i can see to get a wrench on it.....
Old 02-17-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I am not familiar with your V drive set up so I can't help you with selecting a tool that will work with your boat's packing gland.
I can say that giving the stuffing box nuts a nice spray of something like PB Blaster, or equivalent penetrating oil product, will make the job much easier except that you have to wait for it to work which can take a few days.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This is why, at the next opportunity, you might consider a PYI dripless seal or equivalent. The poor access to the gland under the engine makes these seals even more attractive.

Doesn't help your present dilemma, but something to think about (and budget for) next haulout.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)