SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Painted Deck (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/72127-painted-deck.html)

mcrow33 02-17-2011 11:08 AM

Painted Deck

Hi all, I'm looking at a Endeavor 32. This been used in saltwater but for the last 10 years only fresh. I haven't had a survey done yet as I'm still not sure if I will be making an offer. As far as I can tell, I haven't found any soft spots on the deck. Understand that it's winter and in the 20's. One of my conserns is that the deck has been painted, and painted poorly. It looks like they painted it without removing and deck hardware. In places it's starting to check. Should this be a big consern? Oh, it's a 1977, and the asking price is 11K. Is this just a cosmedic issue? How much work would it be to strip it and redo, or can I just smooth out the rough spots and repaint. Or just live with it. The only other issue I can find with the boat is that the port side of the bottom paint is flaking. So it will need to be scrapped and repainted.

Thanks

sailingdog 02-17-2011 12:11 PM

You won't find soft spots in a deck in 20 degree weather...the water that is encapsulated in the soft spots is currently ICE and makes the whole deck seem solid. Even a moisture meter won't detect water in these conditions, since it won't detect ICE very well.

As for the deck paint job, it sounds like the deck paint job wasn't prepped very well, and 95% of the effort and cost in a good paint job is the prep. When painting a deck and cabintop, it really makes much more sense to remove all the hardware possible, as that allows you to get a paint job with fewer exposed edges that can be starting points for the job failing.

I'd point out that if the paint job was done so poorly, that likely indicates that little care was given to the other maintenance tasks and repairs on this boat. The boat is likely to be in need of some major maintenance, if not outright repairs...

If you haven't read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, I would highly recommend you do so before continuing further.

arf145 02-17-2011 06:53 PM

Listen to SD. A sloppy paint job is a bad sign. I'd much rather see a weathered surface than one that someone decided to throw some paint on.

I'd be surprised if you only need to touch up the bottom paint. Depending on what kind it is, its antifouling properties may not be gone.

mcrow33 02-17-2011 07:08 PM

The present owner has only owned the boat for ten years. So I don't know if he was the one to paint it or not. The rest of the boat seems to have been well taken care of. I had the broker contact the boat yard to get a list of repair and servise that they performed. As for the bottom, yes what it needs is just the area that are flaking needs to be scrapped and painted.

BigZ 02-17-2011 07:49 PM

A good deck paint job takes a lot of time and effort. A pro job on a 32 could run close to 9k. A crummy DIY job could cost just a few hours and the cost of paint. You choose the in-between you are comfortable with. And yes, it is just a cosmetic issue. But, like others have said, it could be an indication of overall lack of maintenance in other areas, so be take a closer look at everything else. I wouldn't make it deal-killer if I didn't think the appearance was that objectionable.
Painting in the northern areas is tough. Do you pay for the temp controlled winter storage to paint or take weeks of the short sailing season to make the boat look good?

Barquito 02-20-2011 09:49 PM

Let me tell you, painting a deck is a lot of work! However, it is a job that can be done. If you need to re-bed most of the deck hardware anyway, it would make sense to paint. If everything else looks good, make a low offer.