Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-18-2011
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 gas tank replacement

Hi all,

Last fall I winterized my boat and left for a Navy deployment on my ship, USS Momsen. My wife went to check on our boat, a Catalina 27 from 1973 and smelled gas and saw the remnants in the bilge. One of my buddies checked out the fuel lines and connections and it looks like I've got an old leaky gas tank. The offending tank is located under the starboard berth and connects to the original Atomic 4.

Since I'm still not home I'm planning to get the boat moved to the maintenance yard in Everett where the old tank will be removed, a new tank manufactured and the new one installed. A new tank direct from Catalina is $585 plus shipping. I don't feel bad having one made close to home.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

-Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

You do need to be sure they have the ability to sticker and certify the tank and make a no-hassel everything in the same place copy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
N8,
I'd thoroughly check out the old tank before discarding. Some of the early tanks used were made of Monel, at least they were with the Tartan 27's - not sure about C 27. It may be that some of the fittings have given up and could be replaced, re-using the tank.
The tank could be shot though. $585 sounds pretty steep for a new tank. There are fuel tanks available from a number of sources that you might consider. Defender seems to be having a sale on Moeller tanks right now and even the SN store probably sells them too. I'm not sure how tight your tank installation is so you will have to figure the dimensions out yourself.
Good luck sailor!

Everybody has one:

Old 02-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
By the time i paid shipping i was close to 500 dollars for a custom 14 gallon tank

You cold NOT pay to have a plastic tank with the fume permation issues

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-19-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
Is the $585 price from Catalina Direct ? If so I would call Dani Monterroso at the California Factory 818 884-7700.
Catalina Direct is not Catalina but rather a Catalina dealer, while an excellent source for parts it's a custom tank built for them, you can only hope the factory might do a little better pricewise.
Many times the factory price is better than something you can have made locally.

Last edited by capttb; 02-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2011
Commodore

I've attached a few pictures my wife took and posted them on my blog: Sail Everett

Tank showing corrosion where glassed in to the hull

Lines to cut for replacement

Gunk inside the tank

Capttb: The quote was from Catalina Direct and did not include any shipping or handling fees.

I've just checked out the Moeller site. Looks like I can't buy direct from them so I need to find a dealer. Also, I don't see anything a gauge on the tank for fuel level.

Thanks all.
Old 03-18-2011
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Why not cut out the old tank and use the compartment for an 8 gal portable and strap it down??

-$50??
Old 03-18-2011
Commodore

WouldaShoulda: Sounds like that could be a fair temporary fix so I can go cruising April 1, but I'm going to be selling this summer and want everything to be good for sale. Having that tank inside can not properly vented makes me nervous too.
Old 03-21-2011
Commodore

I found a 7 gallon plastic tank from Kracor that is small enough to meet the height requirements. It looks like if I want to get a replacement tank that's about the same size as the one I have now I need to go custom. Almost 40 years is pretty good for a steel tank though.
Old 03-21-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
n8,

You're right, you definitely DONOT want to use a portable tank below decks, particularly with gasoline.

One of the cool things about translucent plastic tanks is that one can see the fuel level by just looking at the tank from the outside, no gauge needed. You might also want to check out the Vetus fuel tanks. They're a little pricier than Moeller, but they may have one that's a better fit for your application (I had the exact same problem last year with my Cal 2-27, and wound up getting a Vetus tank).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.