Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
A wind generator that can start producing power in a breeze of .5 mph would open it up to areas where they just weren't practical before.
Their cut-in speed is quoted at 2 metres per second. That's a fraction under 4kn (4.4 mph) not a half an mph. A Rutland 913 has about the same cut in (they claim 5kn). And for just $850.

It's a bit difficult to compare outputs given that this is a mains device. At 230 volts it's putting out just a little over 2 amps. One wonders what it would do at 13.7 volts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Their cut-in speed is quoted at 2 metres per second. That's a fraction under 4kn (4.4 mph) not a half an mph. A Rutland 913 has about the same cut in (they claim 5kn). And for just $850.
I believe the lit said not 2m but 0.2m.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-01-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Hey, that is very interesting John! I wonder if that scales down well?
That's what I was wondering, too.

I'm not holding my breath that we'll find out anytime soon, though -- it seems like Honeywell is targeting the shoreside market with this package.

Still, it might inspire a new approach from some of the companies now serving the marine market.

I've also wondered if it might scale "up", and we might see a new kind of wind turbine in the wind farms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-01-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I've also wondered if it might scale "up", and we might see a new kind of wind turbine in the wind farms?
Man, those things are big. I recently worked on the importing of a crane and transport arrangements to transport components from Auckland port to a new wind farm in the area. Some facts about the turbines:

"Each turbine, once fully assembled, is 130.5 metres high and weighs 318 tonnes. Each turbine consists of three main parts – the base tower, the nacelle and the blades. Each base tower is 80 metres high and weighs approximately 169 tonnes. The turbine blades are each 49 metres long and weigh 10.9 tonnes. Each nacelle is 3.5 metres in circumference and weighs 81 tonnes. Each of the 28 wind turbines has a maximum generation capacity of 2.3 megawatts. Turbines will generate electricity in wind speeds of between 14km and 90km per hour."

The crane we assisted with importing has a 600t capacity and was used in concunction with another 300t and a further 200t unit during the assembly.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-11-2011

davimack is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

Interesting discussion. I have a Rutland 913 which I am going to sell, as it is OK in law winds, putting out 90 Watts at 19 knots, which of course is only about 7.5 amps. I need more power and have been trying to decide on a new machine. I looked long and hard at the Air Breeze, and many people have, someone mentioned, changed the blades to the blue ones, both on the Air X and the Air Breeze. Those blue blades are made by Spreco in Germany and are much quieter, and also more efficient than the original ones. That has led me to consider the Silentwind wind generator, which puts out about 14 amps at 20 knots.
It has now come down to a choice between the Silentwind and the Superwind 350. They both have about the same output, but the Silentwind is quieter and less money.
Any comments..............??
Old 05-11-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I recently helped install a Superwind 350 on a Westsail 32. I can`t imagine a quieter wind gen. If you are close enough all you hear is the blades in the wind. And you have to be very close to hear that. There is no vibration evident on the boat. When you place a hand on the stainless pole it is mounted on (9 feet tall) there is not a hint of vibration.

How much quieter is the Silentwind supposed to be.