Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
A wind generator that can start producing power in a breeze of .5 mph would open it up to areas where they just weren't practical before.
Their cut-in speed is quoted at 2 metres per second. That's a fraction under 4kn (4.4 mph) not a half an mph. A Rutland 913 has about the same cut in (they claim 5kn). And for just $850.

It's a bit difficult to compare outputs given that this is a mains device. At 230 volts it's putting out just a little over 2 amps. One wonders what it would do at 13.7 volts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Their cut-in speed is quoted at 2 metres per second. That's a fraction under 4kn (4.4 mph) not a half an mph. A Rutland 913 has about the same cut in (they claim 5kn). And for just $850.
I believe the lit said not 2m but 0.2m.

Tom

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-01-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Hey, that is very interesting John! I wonder if that scales down well?
That's what I was wondering, too.

I'm not holding my breath that we'll find out anytime soon, though -- it seems like Honeywell is targeting the shoreside market with this package.

Still, it might inspire a new approach from some of the companies now serving the marine market.

I've also wondered if it might scale "up", and we might see a new kind of wind turbine in the wind farms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-01-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I've also wondered if it might scale "up", and we might see a new kind of wind turbine in the wind farms?
Man, those things are big. I recently worked on the importing of a crane and transport arrangements to transport components from Auckland port to a new wind farm in the area. Some facts about the turbines:

"Each turbine, once fully assembled, is 130.5 metres high and weighs 318 tonnes. Each turbine consists of three main parts – the base tower, the nacelle and the blades. Each base tower is 80 metres high and weighs approximately 169 tonnes. The turbine blades are each 49 metres long and weigh 10.9 tonnes. Each nacelle is 3.5 metres in circumference and weighs 81 tonnes. Each of the 28 wind turbines has a maximum generation capacity of 2.3 megawatts. Turbines will generate electricity in wind speeds of between 14km and 90km per hour."

The crane we assisted with importing has a 600t capacity and was used in concunction with another 300t and a further 200t unit during the assembly.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-11-2011

davimack is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

Interesting discussion. I have a Rutland 913 which I am going to sell, as it is OK in law winds, putting out 90 Watts at 19 knots, which of course is only about 7.5 amps. I need more power and have been trying to decide on a new machine. I looked long and hard at the Air Breeze, and many people have, someone mentioned, changed the blades to the blue ones, both on the Air X and the Air Breeze. Those blue blades are made by Spreco in Germany and are much quieter, and also more efficient than the original ones. That has led me to consider the Silentwind wind generator, which puts out about 14 amps at 20 knots.
It has now come down to a choice between the Silentwind and the Superwind 350. They both have about the same output, but the Silentwind is quieter and less money.
Any comments..............??
Old 05-11-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I recently helped install a Superwind 350 on a Westsail 32. I can`t imagine a quieter wind gen. If you are close enough all you hear is the blades in the wind. And you have to be very close to hear that. There is no vibration evident on the boat. When you place a hand on the stainless pole it is mounted on (9 feet tall) there is not a hint of vibration.

How much quieter is the Silentwind supposed to be.
Old 11-15-2014
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing a wind generator

I started in 1990 with a Windbugger, not the original 2 blade but a 3 blade. A bit noisy, good output but expensive parts and lots of brushes. Bugger Bob used to grind the identification marks off the generator so you always had to go to him for parts. The thrust bearing needed a lot of attention

In 2004 I got a KISS. Excellent unit, good output and fairly quiet. Parts easy to get and they used to tell you where you could get them, usually an auto parts store. Main knock on this was that it used to cut out at 25 knots due to the thermal switches to prevent overheating. To get around this I used to tie it slightly off the wind when it honked. Excellent unit and the noise at 25 knots was my anchor alarm. Time to get up and check the anchor. A simple high output unit. Used it for ten years without a hitch, although towards the end I think the bearings might have needed to be replaced.

Last January I tried to get another KISS but John at Hotwire could not deliver for a month or two and I couldn't wait. I ended up with a D400. Being a hater of anything electrical coming out of England I was pleasantly surprised. The unit is the best of the bunch. Quiet, too quiet as I can longer rely on the noise being my anchor alarm and a good output curve.

I leave it running even when I'm off the boat. The KISS was unregulated and I usually tied it off when not on the boat. The only knock on the D400 is the price.

Old 11-16-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
Make sure you use Blocking Diodes or Rectifier Diodes...

...Too large of a Diode power rating (i.e. 50 Diode on a 20 Amp system) can cause you to lose Amperage.
Not sure that's correct. Diodes have a simple lowering of voltage. A bigger diode is simply like more diodes in parallel. It won't mean lower amperage.

There are different types of diode chemistries that will mean a lower voltage drop (0.3 V versus 0.5 V) but that's a different discussion.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-16-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Unless you are in a cloudy and windy place, I don't understand why you'd want a wind generator over solar panels, unless it's pure short-term cost. I've had both and now have 540 watts of solar and loving it.

I also found that the published average wind speeds for locations are very misleading. They are more like the average peak wind speed. In my home waters, what was published as a 7 knot average in July was more like a 7 knot average daily peak wind speed. I thought I'd have a lot of power, but instead had just small amount of power on some afternoons. Then when the wind picked up, you had to feather it out of the wind to get any sleep.

Of course, our large-bladed wind generator eliminated tacking at anchor, which was nice. Until my wife needed it feathered to get some sleep, that is.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-16-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I am just about to buy a wind generator to help the solar panels at night. I have just upped the solar from 240 watts with an extra 70 in the mornings to 380 watts. But the freezer at night draws too much to freeze so I want add a few overnight amps from wind.

So I am going to buy a Sunforce 600 which is $900 here, ($800 in the usa). Its got a few bad reviews on the internet but I dont know if thats from people who expect too much. I am in the trade winds and even in bays get a good 12 knots steady wind on average.... And a few months of much higher!

After that I will increase the battery bank from 320 amp hours to 480 amp hours.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.