Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2007

SallyH is on a distinguished road
Do-It-Yourself Pattern and Instructions for the Series Drogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tomaz-

While I like the idea of a tripping line for it... I don't think it would work, even running it down the cones... as when you tried to pull on the tripping line, it would shorten up, and would probably damage the cones, which are fairly lightweight before it worked to trip the series drogue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Pity, since my boat is centre cockpit/wheelhouse, recovering a JSD on a winch would not be easy. My current (untested in earnest) alternative is my very long line trailed in a loop between port and starboard winches. Luckily she shows surprising little tendency to broach, maybe its the bulb bow.
Old 06-24-2007

kaniksu is on a distinguished road
I have read where the retrieval of a JSD is difficult mainly because retrieval is done by pulling in the drogue against the open cups. Why not attach a fender with 30ft of light line to the end of the chain weight. When the seas calm down you could circle back to the fender and pull the drogue in from the tail end with the cups streamlined. I don't think the fender would hinder the drogue performance even though it would limit the tail of the drogue from sinking more than 30ft.
Old 06-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Kaniksu-

If you knew how the JSD worked, you'd realize that buoying the weight at the end will prevent it from working properly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Why not make a tripline of some floating line? It seems that this would not interfere with the submerged cones.
Old 10-28-2009

SailorNate is on a distinguished road
Tager, Kaniksu, the weight on the end of the JSD rises and falls as necessary to prevent slack from forming in the line. This greatly dampens shock loads on the attaching hardware by preventing slack from accumulating in the bridal. I am unable to find my reference at the moment but suffice it to say shock loads are huge and are the second most likely mode of failure (chafe being #1) The two (chafe and shock load) often work in tandem.

I like the idea of a ring with some sort of drogue that pulls it to the end of the JSD to recover it. If you can keep it from snagging and tearing cones, and if it can pull itself down to the weighted end (remember the boat is very slow, its attached to the JSD) this sounds like a winner.

Nate
Old 10-29-2009

casi is on a distinguished road
Tie a buoy on a long buoy line to the anchor/weight at the end of your Jordan Series Drogue.

The buoy line should be longer than your drogue. 3/8" polypropylene line should work for a 40' boat.

The buoy should be a small lobster/fishing type buoy. Make sure that its much too small to lift your drougue's anchor/weight.

Pick up the buoy by throwing a grapple at the end of a line as your sailing past the buoy and then heave to. If conditions are too rough to pick up the buoy, then you should not be sailing until its less rough.

If you do not practice deploying and retrieving your drogue in calm weather then your not safe.

Last edited by casi; 10-29-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I floated another more extensive thread about the JSD that has some great discussion about it. As I say there, I'm not yet convinced. But that's just speaking theoretically - with absolutely no experience whatsoever...which, of course, makes me an expert.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-04-2011

popmeeye is on a distinguished road
looking to buy one before I seriously cruise in the next couple years. Anyone tried using a boatlength trailing line to bring the JSD to the windlass spinning the boat once the waves and winds have died to say sub 30 knots? Basically use the bow height and wave action to raise more of the chutes out of the water. Also be kind of lazy with an electric windlass?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.