SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

jordan series drogue

13K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  funjohnson 
#1 ·
does anyone have first hand knowledge of the jordan drogue?
thanks
''eric

#27 ·
Tager, Kaniksu, the weight on the end of the JSD rises and falls as necessary to prevent slack from forming in the line. This greatly dampens shock loads on the attaching hardware by preventing slack from accumulating in the bridal. I am unable to find my reference at the moment but suffice it to say shock loads are huge and are the second most likely mode of failure (chafe being #1) The two (chafe and shock load) often work in tandem.

I like the idea of a ring with some sort of drogue that pulls it to the end of the JSD to recover it. If you can keep it from snagging and tearing cones, and if it can pull itself down to the weighted end (remember the boat is very slow, its attached to the JSD) this sounds like a winner.

Nate

#28 · (Edited)
Tie a buoy on a long buoy line to the anchor/weight at the end of your Jordan Series Drogue.

The buoy line should be longer than your drogue. 3/8" polypropylene line should work for a 40' boat.

The buoy should be a small lobster/fishing type buoy. Make sure that its much too small to lift your drougue's anchor/weight.

Pick up the buoy by throwing a grapple at the end of a line as your sailing past the buoy and then heave to. If conditions are too rough to pick up the buoy, then you should not be sailing until its less rough.

If you do not practice deploying and retrieving your drogue in calm weather then your not safe.

#30 ·
looking to buy one before I seriously cruise in the next couple years. Anyone tried using a boatlength trailing line to bring the JSD to the windlass spinning the boat once the waves and winds have died to say sub 30 knots? Basically use the bow height and wave action to raise more of the chutes out of the water. Also be kind of lazy with an electric windlass?

#32 ·
Tomaz - I built my own Jordan and can confirm that a tripping line inside the cones wouldn't work. I have 132 of them any twist at all would make that idea untenable, although it would be nice to have an easy retrieve. Float, as mentioned earlier, aren't the way to go since there is supposed to be a heavy weight at the end (an anchor or the like) plus you want the drogue to be below the level of any white water. If the floats are attached with lines then one is back into the entanglement scenario again.

#34 · (Edited)
If I understand the idea of the series drogue correctly... It is to always have controlled pressure on the line, and some of the cones will always be in the right area of the wave and not pull out of the face.

Couldn't similar control be made with 5 or 6 larger drogues in series? If you used 10, 15 or even 20 larger drogues, you would be able to use a winch to pull the line back in with no problem, stopping at each cone to pull it across the winch without ripping it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.