Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-20-2011

Copprhead is on a distinguished road
How do you BBQ?

In anticipation of the great catches this coming season, I'm wondering how to best grill the fish (or whatever) on the boat. Since there is a gas bottle for the stove already in place in the cockpit, the logical thing would be to use that same gas for the grill (=> no need to go buy coal). How would one connect that grill? Unscrew the valve of the stove and screw on the grill connection? Or are there Y-adapters for that purpose?

Any experiences?
Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2011

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
y adapter for propane

RV Camping Adapter
Old 02-20-2011

Thanks for the link. If that thing had a valve it'd be perfect. I can only connect it when using, otherwise the hose would be in the way and the gas locker door won't close.
Old 02-20-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
If you are talking about running a splitter from a 20 LB. tank from you cockpit area to a rail mounted BBQ that could be done. IMO that would mean more lines to get in the way. You could do some drilling and hide the lines, but that would mean more holes and then the possiblility of leaks. I have a Kuuma rail mounted BBQ, works great and I just use the 16 oz screw on cylinder ( which are recylclable). If you do alot of cooking on the BBQ it this is the more exspesive route compared to the 20 lber. One other thing is although I am fairly new to the sailing world, when you say you have your tank setup in the cockpit are you talking in a designated area for propane or is this something someone has setup on thier own
Old 02-20-2011

it's a dedicated gas bottle locker
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I don't like the y-adapter idea, as it seems like a leak opportunity, specifically when not in use. Propane leaks are probably a bigger threat than a thru-hull leak on modern boats. I might consider a separate hose to attach directly to the tank, after spinning off the boat's integrated hose. In the end, I just use the 1lb bottles and screw them into the grill. We BBQ almost every weekend and go through about 6 to 8 per season. Easy, clean and safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I carry two 10# bottles. I have a long rubber propane hose for the grill. The long hose comes out of the locker when we grill and goes back in when we are done. So far it's worked for us.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
If your propane is properly installed in a locker in the cockpit area, with a proper drain located low overboard (propane is heavier than air), etc., it's not hard to install a Y, a valve (to shutoff the feed to the grill), some hose, and one of these (or equivalent for other grill makes):

A10-220 LPG (Propane) Type 3 (Low Output) - For All Marine Kettle Gas Grills and 9" x 18" Rectangular Gas Grills

We routed the hose to a deck plate, but you could just leave the hose in the locker, and open it when you are using the grill (depending on location). Everything, including the extra hose lies in the properly vented propane locker when not in use, thus reducing the risk the new stuff introduces a leak that ends in the bilge. That's not to say you shouldn't make all this stuff tight and check it with soap bubbles, etc.

We put the Y after the solenoid, so I can actually shut the grill off (and the gas lead to the stove below) from inside the boat. Convenient when your below, enjoying dinner, and burning off the drippings.
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
.......We put the Y after the solenoid, so I can actually shut the grill off (and the gas lead to the stove below) from inside the boat. Convenient when your below, enjoying dinner, and burning off the drippings.
That's right, however, you also pressure up the entire boat when running your grill, which is one reason I don't like it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Minnewaska,

Not true about pressuring up the whole boat. Like Dave on Auspicious we have two bottle lockers for our #20 propane tanks. The tanks connect through a regulator which steps down ther pressure, then through the solenoid / sniffer shutoff into the boat to the stove.

If you have a magma or any other rail mount BBQ the solution is simple. They sell a "T" with a stopcock type valve in it which you screw in ( it has rubber gaskets) between the tank and the regulator in your propoane locker
One part of the "T" continues in the line that you had before so no change. The other is connected to an 8-10 foot pressure hose which has an adaptor on the end which "plugs" into the slot on your propane grill.

To use simply plug into the gril, turn the tank valve on ( we leave ours closed when not using the propane inspite of having a solenoid as a safety feature), tuen the stop **** valve in the "T" to the grill position and light up your grill. Rubber hose coils nicely in the locker where the propane bottle is.

This is an easy way to grill and this is far far safer than carrying those 1# bombs in you boat. And screwing them into the back of the grill.

See links to products below

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|301237|322409&id=731142

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|301237|322409&id=729561

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|552|322400|747131&id=58991

This was an improvement I made last year and it worked great since we rarely use our over/ stove in the summer and prefer to use the grill for almost everything.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.