Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
Roller Furling on 1975 Cal with "S" and a whale

I bought a cal 46 that has its original headsail roller furler and am trying to find out who made it. There are no features other than a capital "S" with a whale etched through it. I have all the books but nothing on the furler which of course needs repaired.

Any idea who made this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Can you post a photo of the logo and lettering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Schaefer maybe?
Old 02-21-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Or Stearns?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-20-2012

treb001 is on a distinguished road
Furler with S and Whale logo

I have 2 of these. I not only wish to know who manufactured them, but also like to finf diagrams of how to attach.
Thanks,
Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Roller Furling on 1975 Cal with "S" and a whale-bob-011.jpg   Roller Furling on 1975 Cal with "S" and a whale-bob-010.jpg   Roller Furling on 1975 Cal with "S" and a whale-bob-012.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I'm almost positive that those are Schaefer Marine furlers. They no longer use that logo but they were the first company that made those wire luff type systems as far as I know.

Schaefer Marine Hardware - Home Page

I don't have any idea if you can still obtain literature for them.

Here are the ones they make now.

Schaefer Marine - Jib Furling
Old 02-22-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
It is made by Schaefer and is referred too as a code "O" furler.
Each headsail will have it's own, attached, furler that is easily detached from the halyard and the bow of the boat usually by snap shackles. The two furler pieces are attached to each other by a torque wire that runs through the luff of the sail.
This is an awesome set up for racing as you can easily change out headsails.
You would attach your new headsail to the a halyard and the bow of the boat. Hoist this new sail up while still furled. Once up, it can be unfurled. Then you furl your old sail and lower it to the deck, furled and ready to be stowed for immediate use.
Works with jennakers too.
It's an expensive set up as you need a furler for each headsail and each sail needs to be fitted to the furler torque wire.
Good luck.
Old 02-22-2012

treb001 is on a distinguished road
Hey Dog Ship,
Thanks very much for the info. I had just heard from Schaeder that it was indeed their product. But your info was an addition to theirs. Since I really want a reefing furling system, I will try to modfy these 2 units for that purpose. I have come up with a design but have to find 35'/37' of foil. Being a old retired seadog myself ,on a limited income, I am trying to find infor and design for making a home made furler using this drum and swivel. They are in really great shape. The bearings are nice and tight and run smoothly. So if you ever run across any info and/or diagrams on "how to" it would be really appreciate.
Cheers,
Bert on the boat "BoB"
Old 02-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'd be cautious about trying to modify that setup into a conventional foil-based furler. Such furlers are designed to be installed 'around' a permanent forestay.. adding a foil to the parts you have there are more likely to end up with the entire assembly 'being' the forestay and I doubt those components are designed for those loads.

I'd think that by the time you locate the parts, manage to cobble it together it may not actually work, and/or may not be all that inexpensive or reliable.
knothead likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-22-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Faster is exactly right. Those systems are not designed for the loads that a headstay carries. Your idea is a recipe for disaster. Sorry.

It may work if you run it behind the headstay as it is intended. But making the parts to adapt it to accept a foil would likely be very expensive and probably impractical.

I recommend that you either use them in the way they were designed or bite the bullet and invest in a proper furling/reefing system.