Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would wonder how many done from below in larger areas have or will have delamination issues. Small areas shouldn't be a problem.

Myself and others have given good advice. But it's beersmith's boat and he has to deal with the results, whether good or bad. Looking at his first picture again it would be very easy to cut the top off inside the non-skid area and re-core with gravity on his side. It is fairly obvious that the water entered where the pedestal base mounts. This area should be solid fiberglass to prevent it happening again.

Luck plays no part of it.

Last edited by mitiempo; 02-23-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Beersmith, just take your time and try to keep the resin off your head!

Tommays turned out super nice!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-23-2011

As I recall Tommay's boat had an inner skin that was pretty thin and not very self supporting. I don't think he had much choice.
Old 02-23-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Recoring from below is often going to be more difficult, since gravity is working against you. It also generally requires working in relatively cramped quarters, especially compared to working on the deck or cockpit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
That's what is so nice about my pop top. I took the cabin top off my boat to re-core it!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-23-2011
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
I blame Don Casey for telling me it would be preferable to do it from below. Regardless, its too late now! I don't see this project as difficult as many of the others I'm dealing with. At least this is the only area of delamination in the boat.

Now my blister problem, on the other hand, is a bitch:

One
Two
Old 02-23-2011

beersmith
Here's an interesting link to a great article on gelcoat blisters, best I've seen. You might find it interesting.
Sea Lake Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)
Old 02-23-2011
Sailing to surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
beersmith
Here's an interesting link to a great article on gelcoat blisters, best I've seen. You might find it interesting.
Sea Lake Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)
Thanks for the link!

thats the best take on blisters I've ever read (spent the last year absorbing any and all info about them). He's Dutch also...my heritage, so he gets my nod.

Last edited by Beersmith; 02-23-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2011
Sailing to surf

Job finished and updated! I edited the first post to include the remainder of the job, here is the update:

UPDATE!

This past week I finally finished the repair work and am excited to have it done. Aside from the hull blisters, this is probably the biggest repair job on the boat. The next step was to grind down the remaining core and get a fairly smooth surface to glue in the new core. Here is the surface post grinding:

I purchased some end-grain balsa to use as the replacement core. Here is the first piece measured and cut. The board underneath it is the backing plate I will use to hold the core in place while the epoxy dries. I covered it in wax paper so epoxy wont stick to it.

After measuring and cutting the core, I painted both contact surfaces (core and sole) with unthickened epoxy to penetrate, then slathered on a ton of thickened epoxy to the core:

Next I smushed it up against the sole undersides, put on the backing plate, then used shower curtain rods to snug it up.

I filled in the edges with thickened epoxy and let the first piece cure. Here it is after it dried:

I then performed the same tasks on the second piece of core. Here are both pieces in place, with the edges sanded round:

Next up I applied a few progressively larger layers of biaxial cloth to the undersides. I used smallish (1 ft or so) strips to keep it manageable while laying up the glass overhead.

ob finished! I will sand it down and paint it along with the rest of the engine room ceiling. I stood on the cockpit sole for the first time in a while and it is solid as a rock!

Lessons learned: doing the job from the underside was a mistake. My initial idea was that working from the underside would ensure the top skin is undamaged and finish/fairing work would be minimized. The glass underneath is rough and unfinished, so the repair work need not be super neat.However, I underestimated the effort it took to glue in the core overhead with gravity working against me. It was extremely messy, with epoxy getting all over me, in my hair and everywhere. My arms were noodles after each work session working overhead. If I had to do this again I would definitely go from the top and just take my time with the finishing work, particularly since I am fairing and painting the decks regardless. Gravity working for you is a good thing. All in all, I am happy with the repair and glad to be moving forward!
Old 06-29-2011
Sailing to surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Recoring from below is often going to be more difficult, since gravity is working against you. It also generally requires working in relatively cramped quarters, especially compared to working on the deck or cockpit.
quoted for truth! good advice sailingdog, and all others who had the same advice. my lesson is learned.

Last edited by Beersmith; 06-29-2011 at 11:56 AM.