Moving chainplates outboard (from "through deck" configuration), I have a question.. - Page 7 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2011
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperiorGeezer View Post
To outrun storms, how about a top fuel dragster engine, Chrysler Hemi 426, with racing alcohol, 85% nitromethane and about 15% methanol, instead of gasoline. Top fuel dragster Worlds Fastest Cars
That's just silly LSG..

I need practical...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
I will take your word for that

"Urine is salty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Urine is salty. Potato chips are salty. Which would you rather ingest?

Sometimes, salty is a bad thing.

oooooh, sig line!
Old 02-25-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
That's just silly LSG..

I need practical...
Quite true, so about the 2GM20, does it have fresh water cooling (heat exchanger) or has salt water been eating at its insides.
Old 02-25-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
A lot of work for no gain. Drill out the bulkhead mounting points for the chainplates and pot with thickened epoxy, use larger hardware, build deck islands out of thickened epoxy to deter water intrusion through the chainplate ports, and call it done. Bigger, stronger, better, faster, cheaper with no change in geometry.
I'm not so sure that the change in geometry would be all that big a deal. Moving the shroud outboard 4 inches would only increase the angle by about one degree. I seriously doubt that the original tangs, etc., were made with a tolerance of less than one degree.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-26-2011

procrastonator is on a distinguished road
Hi , I am in the same situation with my Utzon 30 spidsgatter, with a want to negate as much potential water ingress through deck as possible, The plates I have seen are recessed behind rub rails etc with nice flat sections,I photographed a liberty 30 setup the other day I will try to post same, I will follow your thread with much interest. cheers chris
Old 02-26-2011
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastonator View Post
Hi , I am in the same situation with my Utzon 30 spidsgatter, with a want to negate as much potential water ingress through deck as possible, The plates I have seen are recessed behind rub rails etc with nice flat sections,I photographed a liberty 30 setup the other day I will try to post same, I will follow your thread with much interest. cheers chris
Thanks! Feel free to check out my site in my sig and email me with any progress you make as well, I'd be interested to see your progress and what you come up with.
Old 02-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Guys and Gals.. Since this thread drifted into an engine discussion that I thought had some pretty valuable info hidden behind the 'chainplate' title, I've culled the relevant posts to its own thread.

You'll find it here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel...d-replace.html

Carry on!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-26-2011
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Guys and Gals.. Since this thread drifted into an engine discussion that I thought had some pretty valuable info hidden behind the 'chainplate' title, I've culled the relevant posts to its own thread.

You'll find it here:

Carry on!
Nice, thanks!
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wow, that's pretty good for a 52nd stater... Thanks Faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

You'll find it here:

Carry on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2011

Barastiboy is on a distinguished road
I have had my boat a 48 ft frers 1980 out of the water for 4 months and noticed the
Teak deck cracked across the grain adjacent to the single in line chain plate. I figure this could be due to temporary hogging of the boat, plus drying of the teak plus or either slight movement of the chain plate/s either way, listening to you guys I think I will take a closer look. Ps It's been it's very hot here in Dubai.