Moving chainplates outboard (from "through deck" configuration), I have a question.. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-21-2011
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Moving chainplates outboard (from "through deck" configuration), I have a question..

Moving chainplates outboard (from a "through deck" configuration), I have a question..

Alberg 30 btw..

Ideally, I'd like to go with a shape similar to this (this is a rough mock up, and the tang part would be further in of course), but I am wondering about the bends as roughly indicated in the cardboard mock up in the pic below. I have a metalworker who has my silicon bronze flat bar stock in hand, and he is waiting for my templates so he can get to work.

My question is whether or not I should make bends like that, strength wise, or if I should go with a more conservative approach and connect it to a built out toe rail like the second pic below (pic taken from some other boat, obviously).

The reason I do not want to connect the chainplates to the toe rail is due to the possibility of "flex" and leaks, and having my chainplates become part of my toe rail (thus combining two things I don't want to combine, really).

Thoughts on this? Would the chainplate design I did below hold ok structurally with those bends? The stock is 2"x 24"x 1/4" silicon bronze, and will be hand forged...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chris—

Without the support of the toerail, the chainplates are far more likely to flex and if they do, it will cause the chainplates to fatigue. I think you do need to incorporate the chainplates into or with the toerail.

Don't forget, the angle of the mast tangs needs to be modified to match the angle from the new chainplates, which are now further outboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-21-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I've seen some older boats with outboard chainplates that have a sort of "rub-rail" (for lack of a better term) below the toe-rail, with the chainplate bolted below that. The chainplates bend over the top of this rub-rail, and are thus held just outboard of the toe-rail.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-21-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Moving chainplates outboard (from  "through deck" configuration), I have a question..-1.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I too like the idea of moving the chainplates outboard...

but eventually compromised on this;

Full saga here

Boat is a Whitby 42, big daddy to your Alberg 30.

Old 02-21-2011
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
but eventually compromised on this;

Full saga here

Boat is a Whitby 42, big daddy to your Alberg 30.
Wow, scary pics from your blog! The stuff of nightmares..

I think you guys have confirmed the obvious for me, I will need to "build out" the toe rail in some manner in order to support them properly. Btw, I have never seen chainplates as long as the ones posted in the pic by SBS, do they go all the way around the boat? I like!

I want to not only replace the C/P's, I want to get rid of the tabbed gussets the old ones secured to inside to free up the room (always an issue on an A 30).

I am wondering about the best way/shape to go about these for my boat. I really want to experience the joy of a leak free toe rail for the very first time in my life, and I am thinking about how to achieve this with CP's attached in some manner to the toe rail.. again, thoughts?
Old 02-21-2011

You will sacrifice a few degrees of pointing ability with the chainplates mounted outboard. Not a disaster but something to be aware of.

I think chainplates can be seaaled properly through the deck. gtod's link is one example. The other issue is that most leaky chainplates have been ignored for 20 to 30 years. Properly done, which requires the most work, will take the longest time. Pulling them for inspection in 10 years and rebedding them won't take as long.
Old 02-21-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Like this:
Bingo!

I've also seen set-ups with wood blocks under the chainplates to avoid the extra bend over the "rub-rail" (is there a better word for that?).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-21-2011

There is but it escapes me right now.
Old 02-21-2011
prwg, NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There is but it escapes me right now.
Oops, my bad, I thought SBS posted that pic..

Credit applied..