Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
SilPruf SCS2000

I would like to get opinions on using this product for bedding/sealing through deck chainplates. Does anyone have any experience with using it?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
In the course of further research, I discovered that Island Packet uses this stuff.

"This silicone bonds tenaciously to stainless and is used on all current IPs to seal chainplates, ports, and hatches. Price is per tube."

Island Packet Yachts Ship's Store

I know that some feel that there are very few applications for silicone on boats, but I'm wondering if this product is different.

I'm hoping that Maine will chime in with his thoughts.
Old 02-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I think the 'no silicone rule' mostly applies to those silicones that smell like vinegar.. eg DC 795 is a silicone but is recommended for sealing portlights, and we've had good success with it on numerous occasions.

Seems to me that there's been a discussion on Silpruf elsewhere here in threads on that topic.

Not much specific info, but one satisfied user... the threads are here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...earchid=460436

Good to see you here btw!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't use it... Silicones tend to leave contaminants on fiberglass and the adhesion and elasticity aren't all that great for chain plates, which tend to move and flex a fair bit. I've seen chainplates on a Norman Cross 34 trimaran that was 28 years old, and it was still quite flexible and sticky...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
While SilPruf is good stuff for polycarb and acrylic you'd not catch me dead using it for other bedding. Silicone is silicone in terms of contamination and I have been on the receiving end of it all too often. If you think IP owners don't have leaking chain plates try telling that to the guy two boats down from me who was re-bedding his two years ago due to leaks. Or tell it to me as my next door neighbors IP was one I rebedded the chain plates on due to leaks. Took a whole day to clean up that silicone. Never once assumed a builder would have been the one that used "stupidcone", assumed it was a PO, but now I know.... Well built chain plate design but poor choice of sealant, in my experience.

You want a real rise out of someone bring up "stupidcone" on the Plastic Classic Forum and Tim Lackey, ex Hinckely guy and owner of Norhern Sailboat Restorations, will give you an ear full!!

If I know of at least two IP's, and have physically re-bedded one of them, there are surely others...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-22-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Knot!!!! Baby!!!!!! You're back!!!!!!

Man it's good to see you around!!!!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-23-2011

Thank you all for your replies.

SD, I read this on the product's data sheet.
" ±50% Movement Capacity - can accommodate 50% movement in both extension and compression and has excellent recovery after cycling."
I'm not sure how that compares to other sealants but it seemed to be pretty good.
http://www.siliconeforbuilding.com/p..._SilPruf_P.pdf

Maine, I was pretty sure how you felt about silicone. I was thinking that this stuff might be different.
I realize that just because a manufacturer has a preference for a particular product doesn't mean it's the best. I just thought that IP might be a better than average firm to emulate.
Also, I seem to remember reading once that you recommend a fairly large gap around the chainplate. Could you remind me what you said about that?

Smack, I wasn't really gone. But thanks for the sentiments. Ditto.
Old 02-23-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Consider that the top plate on some chainplates may have at most a 1/16" of sealant beneath it... 50% means the chainplate top coverplate can only move 1/32" before breaking the sealant's seal. If you have an 1/8" around the chainplate, and the chainplate moves more than 1/16", the sealant will likely break. Butyl tape usually has a much higher elasticity, but it is brand dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

SD, I read this on the product's data sheet.
" ±50% Movement Capacity - can accommodate 50% movement in both extension and compression and has excellent recovery after cycling."
I'm not sure how that compares to other sealants but it seemed to be pretty good.
http://www.siliconeforbuilding.com/p..._SilPruf_P.pdf

Maine, I was pretty sure how you felt about silicone. I was thinking that this stuff might be different.
I realize that just because a manufacturer has a preference for a particular product doesn't mean it's the best. I just thought that IP might be a better than average firm to emulate.
Also, I seem to remember reading once that you recommend a fairly large gap around the chainplate. Could you remind me what you said about that?

Smack, I wasn't really gone. But thanks for the sentiments. Ditto.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.