Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-22-2011
Vancouver, BC

anderbra is on a distinguished road
wind direction - instrument malfunction

My boat has a Signet wind point and anemometer installed at the top of the mast and they transmit the information to displays in the cockpit. Recently, the wind point display stopped working while the sensor at the top of the mast still spins according to the wind direction. The wind speed display still is working fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do to fix the problem?

Please feel free to elaborate. The more info the better.

Thank you in anticipation.

PS: looking up the mast is neck breaking and telltales on shrouds are helpfull but not my kind of solution.

Last edited by anderbra; 02-22-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: change title for effect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We had the same stuff on our previous boat and the wind direction never really worked reliably (but like you, windspeed was fine) Without any schematics repair is difficult but odds are connections may be the culprit - and those can be checked/cleaned. Still we were never able to get the windpoint to work reliably.

Signet is still in business and they will repair your stuff, or offer you a reasonable credit towards newer Signet equipment (at least last I heard)

The problem is, of course, you'd have to ship your masthead unit and receiver to California. You can specify a max spend amount before you'd rather upgrade.

I've purchased replacement LCD displays for depth and knotmeters from them in the past few years.. good service then. Give them a call or an email:

Signet Marine

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-22-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2011
Vancouver, BC

anderbra is on a distinguished road
Thank you Faster.

My instruments are probably as old as the boat (+- 30 years) and it never occoured to me to see if Signet was still in existence.

Unlike yours, my wind point instrument worked very well untill recently. That's why I want it back.

Thank you again.
Old 02-23-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
1. Connection problems: Although rare, check the cables. The connections to the dials and mast top are more probable.
2. The unit on the might be defective. This is generally a circular potentiometer which can rotate 360 degrees. This might be defective. In this case it is best to replace the whole unit. But it might be possible to repair it in some cases.
Old 02-23-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
1. Connection problems: Although rare, check the cables. The connections to the dials and mast top are more probable.
2. The unit on the might be defective. This is generally a circular potentiometer which can rotate 360 degrees. This might be defective. In this case it is best to replace the whole unit. But it might be possible to repair it in some cases.
I agree with this. In the case of #1, you can perform a continuity check on the cable with an ohm or multi-meter. You can also put the multi meter on the plug of the potentiometer and spin the wind vane. If the resistance reading is "open" or "infinite" or it doesn't change at all when rotating the wind vane, then the problem is there.

I have an ancient (broken) Signet knotmeter, and found that they were still in business. Definitely check out their website. They offer drop-in replacements for some of their instruments.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.