Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-25-2011

sqwishalot is on a distinguished road
How to prep an embossed diamond pattern deck for paint?

I have a Yachbau 30, 1976 model. It needs deck, cabin, topsides paint.

I have a deck that has the nonskid pattern molded into the finish. If I sand it, it will have to be taken down 1/16 inch or more to even out.

My guess is to strip it chemically to leave the embossed ridges. Or just clean it well, and not sweat it, and just add another coat. This will diminish the non skid properties.

I already searched the forums, and I know my ass is full of crap already, so if you have something constructive to recommend, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A thorough scrub with TSP, followed by a thorough rinse might be enough. Let it dry completely, mavbe follow up with a tack cloth, and/or a solvent wash prior to painting.

One of the issues here is the paint itself may fill/obscure the original pattern, but you can always add some grit to the paint, or use a product like Interlux Interdeck which already contains the grit, to actually improve the nonskid properties above and beyond that of the original pattern.

A two-part paint will have more durability at, of course, higher cost and complications of premixing.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
here are a couple of links, when you search the forums you will have better luck using google and searching sailnet and topic xxx...
oh, but dont type topic. lol.

painting non skid

Painting non skid gelcoat on topsides

Need advice on non skid paint

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 02-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I'd sand the non-skid areas and then paint with a good non-skid finish. Kiwigrip, durabak, or using a non-skid paint or non-skid additive to regular paint makes more sense than trying to preserve the diamond non-skid pattern which will get filled with paint and be rendered fairly useless. It'll also suck up a lot of expensive paint for no real return.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2011

georgefmys is on a distinguished road
Though applying another non-skid finish after minimal prep of the diamond tread will work fine,it never looks that great.This method works well:Tape off and sand the pattern [about halfway] Then roll on 3-4 coats of a hi build epoxy primer,all coats can go on same day. Then re-sand,if you put on enough primer,surface should be smooth or have only slight pattern that 2-3 coats of topcoat can cover. Kiwi-grip or Durabak would probably do it in one coat,but if you prefer a more subtle texture the flattened Awlgrip method cant be beat for toughness and longevity