Toe rail: Replace existing mahogany, or go with aluminum? - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-10-2011
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Remember that "i'm" the only person that reads your blog!

Real happy for you guys. It must be a thrill to get serious about it and be living the process of fitting Heron out. I look forward to the same in the coming years. But I think we'll be building our home in the Exumas so that we have a destination to sail to. Then we can find a nicer boat to take us there!
you and about eight others are reading it at this point.. I like to think of it as waaayy underground..

And thanks! It's very exciting to have this all going on... it's actually amazing to be doing it after so long "dreaming" about the day we could begin. Every day is filled with "boat" stuff, and our lives are completely consumed by everything we have to get done. It's awesome, and I think when we finally move aboard I will miss this time. It's so fun!

Kudos on your plans, sounds awesome! There is no finer lifestyle than the sailing one, whatever path you make within it, imo..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
you and about eight others are reading it at this point.. I like to think of it as waaayy underground..

And thanks! It's very exciting to have this all going on... it's actually amazing to be doing it after so long "dreaming" about the day we could begin. Every day is filled with "boat" stuff, and our lives are completely consumed by everything we have to get done. It's awesome, and I think when we finally move aboard I will miss this time. It's so fun!

Kudos on your plans, sounds awesome! There is no finer lifestyle than the sailing one, whatever path you make within it, imo..
Indeed!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 03-11-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chris, this may be a silly idea but why not contact Taco (the maker?) and ask them about installation questions? I would expect the simplest way to bend the rail to fit would be to start by securing it at one end, and then use a comealong or tie straps to "pull" it to the other side of the boat, until it was snug up against the side you were installing it on. Gentle pressure, hole by hole to make sure the cure matches up.

If you are going to cut off the old bolts--have someone below to catch them as you pop them out, otherwise you know they'll just find new places to hide in, and rattle around in the bilge.

You might also want to ask Taco for some precise measurements, and then make up a two foot long dummy section (maybe they can send you a scrap) out of cardboard, so you can actually see if there will be fitting problems, how the holes will line up, whether there will be clearance issues, etc. Numbers are all well and good, but fitting a dummy "hands on" still has a role.
Old 03-12-2011

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I know I late to the party but may I offer a few sugestions?

First try to remove the bolts by using a six point socket with the starting taper ground off so that it gets a better bite on the nut and and if you use a wrench remove the starting taper on it as well.
The impact driver is a great idea.

If you have to cut off the bolts use an angle grinder with a cut off disc and cut about half way down the wood and through the bolt at 90 degrees, use the wood to keep from damaging the boat.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 03-13-2011
Don't sail anymore

Just an update, the toe rail removal is going to be easy (I think anyway). Compared to some of the other stuff I'm getting into, I look forward to when that project begins.

Quote:
If you have to cut off the bolts use an angle grinder with a cut off disc and cut about half way down the wood and through the bolt at 90 degrees, use the wood to keep from damaging the boat.
This is what I was thinking! Honestly, I think the rail will pretty much pull right off with barely any effort, but I'll cut the bolts off midway through the rail in all likelihood.
Old 03-19-2011
Don't sail anymore

Toe rail is off...

Old 03-19-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I know you're upwind of it, but I'd still suggest a filter mask. Cheap protection for your lungs.
Old 11-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Toe rail: Replace existing mahogany, or go with aluminum?

It's been a couple of years, I'd love to see how the rest of the project went.