Flat-bed trailer & keel boat: cradle, supports or bunks? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2011

thehardaground is on a distinguished road
Bunks vs. pads:
Bunks are really nice when the crane is putting your boat on the trailer, and provide a bunch more support for the boat while it is in storage.
Pads are really nice in the spring when you want to paint underneath before the crane comes to launch your boat. Really nice that you can drop them one at a time to paint underneath. Had a guy at my club a bunch of years ago that had an Abbott 22 that would come down in the morning one day in the spring, drop all four pads leaving the boat just balancing an the keel, and paint the bottom. Asked never to be stored next to him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehardaground View Post
...a guy at my club a bunch of years ago ...had an Abbott 22 ...would come down in the morning one day in the spring, drop all four pads leaving the boat just balancing on the keel, and paint the bottom. Asked never to be stored next to him again.
Very wise! would scare the heck out of me just to do the work like that, I just know I'd trip and fall against the boat... or forget I'd taken the stands down and climb on board for a minute to get something.... I'm surprised no-one at the yard said anything; 'course, they probably never knew, or saw and didn't care...

Dropping one pad at a time, and replacing it with a temp brace or prop would achieve the same ease of painting with much greater safety. You always wonder why some people take the apparently easy but also unsafe route.

I feel that bunks might give better hull support, but will hinder bottom work. Some of the methods I've read, about people using cinder blocks 'n all to get the hull off the bunks, really scare me! For a keel boat, the best method of support is supposed to be on the keel, so bunks are of lesser importance, I'm told. The posts 'just' provide stability.

Source of used Jowi cradles, anyone?

Last edited by knotted; 02-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2011

The posts/bunks are definately just for stability. Seen a couple of boats with their hulls indented because their pads were jacked up wy too high. One of the things you can do with a cradle with bunks is support either the front or back of the boat with a jackstand or two while dropping the bunk for painting/sanding.
Old 02-28-2011

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Knotted

If the boat you are looking at is the one in first pic on the trailer then you should buy boat with the trailer. It is a nice trailer.

Remember that a lot of the used cradles and trailers may be old and rotted. The one you showed looked very nice and woulpd make your life much easier since you could move the boat home for maintenance season ,etc...

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Use adjustable pads.

And the trailer you have pictured will need almost 8' of depth at the end of the ramp to launch. Measure from the ground up to the w/l. Then measure the height of the cross brace to the trailer. Add those together. That's how much water you'll need. Probably close to 8' wich ain't gunna happen.

Also, go around and measure the ramps you'll be using. I called twice to a marina asking if they could launch a 4' draft boat, 2 people told me yes and when I got there the water depth was 4' exactly at the end of the ramp. They made $120 from me b/c I had to pay for a travel lift. I would've argued but had to get to the starting line that day. I learned a lot.
Old 02-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The rear cross piece on the shown trailer could be removed, and an angles piece going towards the center installed. OR< doing a removable for launching is doable, then put the par back in. The issue I see with the bar, is if the supports to spread a bit, you may not get the bar back in place. Otherwise, this is no different of a setup than many of use with racks on our trucks, ie the 1 ton in the link I showed earlier. My back and middle crosspieces are removable.

If the trailer had bigger main for aft rails, a support in the back as this has might not be needed. You could also get the boat lower if the axles were not below the keel, ie preferably slightly behind, then the boat could sit up to 6" lower. Which would make ramp launching a bit easier, but still close to impossible.

But getting a cradle on a trailer, vs a special built trailer, look for both. buy which ever you find first. In the end, you will be hoisting the boat to launch and remove from the water, this boat is not easily going in via a ramp. Unless you had a minimum 10-15' tongue extension. There was a manufacture in the 70s out of CA that did this, but most of the trailers I saw were for boats with CB's or equal lessor draft rigs that could float off the supports.

Another issue with that trailer, at least in my state, with out tire covers, that rig would be illegal. One needs to have the top half of the tires covered with fenders or equal to be legal. Your state/providences laws may vary, but look into them. This is to keep water spray among other things from hitting other cars blinding them in wet conditions.

Marty
Old 03-01-2011
Abbott 22

Good point about the fenders, blt2ski, they would be essential if going on-road.

A long tongue for towing stability and a long extension tongue to get into deeper water at launch, would be good.

The bottom of the cradle could sit just above the top of the axle, as the cradle could fit between the wheel arches. The axles could be drop axles to get a little lower. I think it's time to do some calculations to see just what the lowest reasonable height for the cradle could be. Still need the keel between the axles for stability, I feel, and slightly closer to the front axle to get adequate tongue loading.

zz4gta, thanks for that 'heads up'! There are two ramps where I'd like to sail. The people at one have doubts that it's possible at their ramp, as the deepest boat they launch is about 10 inches shallower, and their ramp isn't steep, it's long and flat. (So only worry about going off the end is sticking in the mud....) The people at the other ramp say theirs is steeper and into deeper water, and believe there won't be a problem with launching a 4 ft draught, but that because water levels drop in the fall, a haul-out a week or two earlier than normal might be necessary.

I'd rather have a trailer that removes difficulty, however, rather than adds to it, so I'll be seriously thinking about how to do this. I've got time, as I won't need a trailer until Sept or so. Neither facility (club or public ramp) has a crane, so it would be at my cost to bring one in if needed. If it can be done affordably, I'd rather have a trailer that removed the need for a crane, and opened up many more ramps for possible launches in the future. Tempting to think of manufacturing such a trailer 'for sale', but as someone pointed out somewhere, the liability is terrifying! But only I suspect if the design is faulty and or the construction shoddy.

@mikehoyt, yes that is a nice boat and trailer, Mike, but not the one I bought. I know where that boat is (it's for sale also) but the trailer definitely needs a crane to load or unload the boat. Basically, I feel it's a only yard trailer (no lights, no fenders). I like the idea of maintenance at home, without an hour drive to the yard. And pads would be easier to work around than bunks.

What I want is a road trailer from which I can launch off a ramp where there is little more than 4 ft of water. I'm not asking too much, am I?

Last edited by knotted; 03-01-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2011

Where in SW Ontario are you? On the Canadian side of Lake Erie I can only think of Leamington as the only `reasonable` ramp, of course you would definately need an extension. I did ramp my Merit 25 into the water in Port Stanley, but the water did need to be up and there was no chance of ever ramping out. Way too steep of a ramp. The trailer for the C&C 27 I now have has an extension for ramping too. I have no intention to ever do that though.
Old 03-03-2011

sailkeys92 is on a distinguished road
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone know of a trailer for sale thats suitable for a Tartan 27? In the Carolinas or georgia. I also have the option of having one built, so I'll need some basic dimensions/stand height and width. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 03-04-2011
Abbott 22

sailkeys92, you might want to check out this website for info on Jowi cradles. I'm sure there are other cradles; these seem to fit the bill. You'd likely need a Model 1, but if you email, they'll provide info.

As for a trailer, if you make up a tandem axle frame trailer with a Jowi secured on top, this should be fine for both travel and storage. You'll need to crane on and off, however, unless the trailer is specially designed to get the cradle down to grade level and or your tow vehicle has snorkels!

Try looking for a trailer on eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji, and searchtempest Check your spelling on these search engines; searchtempest especially seems to hang if you miss-spell!

Good hunting!

Last edited by knotted; 03-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.