SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Source for replacement masthead sheaves?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  maxbumpo 
#1 ·
Greetings Sailors!

I have a '73 Balboa 20, and it has two sheaves in the masthead which are probably original and no longer serviceable. They appear to be made of some fiber material, and basically they've split in half.

Who knows of a good source? West Marine doesn't stock anything close. These are so worn that I'm not sure of the original measurements, but I'm pretty sure they take a 5/16" line (for main sail). The outside diameter is 1 3/8", and the shaft for the pin is 1/4" I've found smaller diameter sheaves but smaller won't work - the line rubs on the mast because it's too close.

I really don't want to replace the entire masthead assembly because of two sheaves which probably cost about $20 each or less.

Thanks!
Max

#4 ·
Greetings Sailors!

I have a '73 Balboa 20, and it has two sheaves in the masthead which are probably original and no longer serviceable. They appear to be made of some fiber material, and basically they've split in half.

Who knows of a good source? West Marine doesn't stock anything close. These are so worn that I'm not sure of the original measurements, but I'm pretty sure they take a 5/16" line (for main sail). The outside diameter is 1 3/8", and the shaft for the pin is 1/4" I've found smaller diameter sheaves but smaller won't work - the line rubs on the mast because it's too close.

I really don't want to replace the entire masthead assembly because of two sheaves which probably cost about $20 each or less.

Thanks!
Max
These guy's aren't cheap, but you'll get what you want.

Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory

http://www.zephyrwerks.com/

#5 ·
I looked into Zepyrwerks when I needed a sheave for our in boom out haul but they were not cheap by any means. I ended up buying 3 Delrin sheaves that were quite close to my dimensions from McMaster-Carr (around $20) and was able to use 1 with only minor reshaping.
McMaster-Carr
While Delrin might not be the ideal material it is strong enough to last quite some time and cheap enough to replace if/when it needs fixing again.
While you are at it you might consider going with all rope halyards and get sheaves that will be suitable for that purpose.
Good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, lots of info to sort through now. Looks like I'll need to take some careful measurements of the mast head to determine which sizes will work, and go from there. Fortunately measurements are easy - boat is on trailer and mast laid down.

#7 ·
Here is a photo...

of the old and new sheave I got from McMaster-Carr.
The old aluminum sheave had degraded so much that the line jumped the sheave and would jamb. You can also see that I sanded one or both sides of the Delrin sheave to make it fit.

Attachments

#9 ·
Dwyer Aluminum Mast website has what I need for $10 each :). Plus $11 shipping :eek:

I've ordered two delrin sheaves that are 1.5 inches diameter and 7/16 inches thick, with a 1/4 center axle hole. They should fit with no modification required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.