Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2011
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
Strange thing on my mast spreader

I need some help identifying a strange protrusion on the my mast spreader. It's a long, thin, plate, apparently aluminum. It's slightly curved in the short dimension, and bent out almost 90 degrees in the long dimension. It's affixed with two apparently stainless steel screws to the front of the spreader. It is only on the right spreader, not the left.

Check out these pictures:

Does anyone have any idea what this thing is?

The problem I'm having with it is that it seems to be slowly sawing through my spinnaker halyard, as you can see in the second picture. It's not at all clear to me what this thing is supposed to be doing, so I'm not totally sure how to solve my problem.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes--I am pretty sure that was originally bent into almost a U-shape. It was probably put there to catch halyards so that they wouldn't slap the mast when they were stowed. The easiest solution is to bend it back to where it was originally supposed to be...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
aaron
Just a guess here, but could it have been put on as a chafe protector for the spreader because of the wire halyard? It looks as though there is signs of wear on it and it is not in it's original position. why not just get rid of it? And make sure to replace that spin halyard.....that looks fugly.
Old 02-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If it was mounted the other way round, with the bend away from the mast you could hook your halyards onto it when stowed and you wouldn't have halyard slap. I think it's too tight to the spreader body at the one end to have been 'cleat' shaped to start with.

But if you store your halyards to a handy rail, or even a lifeline you could simply remove it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-27-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Looks like its was originally there to keep the wire away from the rope halyard. The ware spot looks like the work of the rope running up and down the outside.
It was probably touching the mast when first fitted keeping the rope outside and the wire inside. I,d straighten and keep it.
Ps The halyard looks frayed as if its been catching on its open face so close it up of you keep it
Safe sailing

Last edited by centaursailor; 02-27-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
So now you know exactly what to do . . . .

Hopefully you read the whole thread and didn't bend it out just moments before you saw the advice to bend it in.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-28-2011
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
OK, what I'm getting from this thread is that it's probably meant to secure the spinnaker halyard when moored. I can't imagine it being intended to touch the jib or main halyards, which are wire. So I'll give it a try to see if there's any reason I should secure it this way, rather than my current setup.

(My current setup is to shackle the mainsail end of the main halyard aft, and use a hitch to pull the other length of the main halyard and the spinnaker halyard towards the bow. I have roller furling, so one end of the jib halyard is always secured, and the other end I pull away from the mast separately using a bungee.)

Honestly, I strongly suspect that I will not find this thing useful, and, in any case, it causes far more chafe than anything else attached to my mast. I'm also worried it could be tearing up my genoa when tacking. I did not notice the wear on the wire halyard until now, and that's also probably caused by this thing.

I think the only reason I'll keep this thing is if it works, and somehow makes securing the halyards more attractive than the rather ugly way I do it now...