Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2011

newnewbie is on a distinguished road
From the lousy Energizer website here is a picture very close to what I bought (seems [img] not available to me on sailnet?).

It is only 65 lumen.

Hey Danny what's saberman? My search of sailnet bought up a whole lot of links but when I clicked on them there was no mention of saberman.

The search for the perfect spotlight continues.

BTW the google calculator seems to be flawed. It gives 1 lumen = 1000 millicandela (mcd). Don't you need to know the beam angle first?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011

oops. I see. sabreman not saberman.
Actually one of the fun things re night sailing in my vast experience (2 nights) seemed to be feeling when the boat was in the groove and not needing to look at the telltales. Hard to tell though, I might have been kidding myself. Will need more data.
Old 02-27-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewbie View Post
what do you do coming into an unfamiliar harbour on a dark windy wet night?
Stand off until tomorrow morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 02-28-2011

yes. But if it's not that dark and not that windy and not that wet? Do you have a spotlight on board? Model?
Old 02-28-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify, I only use my spotlight when I'm trying to pick out a pretty distant buoy/mark, to ID a hazard, or to light up my sails if I think a commercial vessel needs to see me. For ANYTHING on the boat I use a small LED flashlight, which actually works pretty well for highlighting the reflective tape/paint of buoys and marks at close range.

A high-powered light, such as the 2M c.p. (or so it says) one I have, will destroy ones night vision if it reflects off anything close by. It does really get the attention of other skippers if/when the need arises. However, one also has to be aware that it's a pretty blinding light if shined directly at anyone within 100-200 meters (and pretty annoying at quite a bit more distance than that).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-28-2011

bbarnewolt is on a distinguished road
I have used the Energizer Hard Case (Hard Case Tactical LED Flashlight MIL2AA1L). It has a very bright white LED, red LED and blue LED. Also has infrared illumination, which I have not used. I bought three of these on Woot for $19.00 ea, which was primarily why I bought them. They work great and I use them on the boat. Excellent battery life. This particular model may be difficult to find, but the Hard Case Professional series is similar.

If you want a very bright LED flashlight, and are willing to pay the price, then look at the Fenix TK40. Runs on 8AA batteries, will work on 4, several illumination modes, reasonably waterproof, but doesn't float.

I agree with others about using good night vision technique and avoiding white light whenever possible, but there have been one or two occasions when it was nice to light up a buoy from afar to confirm its presence- and to confirm that I was on the proper side of that buoy. We also had the helmsman close his eyes while we were looking just to preserve his night vision.
Old 02-28-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
quark AA led flash light, water proof ( ipx7 or some thing like that )

about 50 bucks multiple settings, low, med, high, beacon, strobe, sos, turbo

from .1 lumen to 220 lumen, run time from 40 days to 1.5 hours depending on level.

on the lowest setting is so dim it wont effect night vision, but usable in the dark to not kill your self ( not much more ) med good for general use at night.

it will reflect off a crab pot at 100 feet at night with no problem.
Old 02-28-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
what do you do coming into an unfamiliar harbour on a dark windy wet night?
I don't. Bad planning on my part if it comes to that. But......

We have 1 lantern flashlight and 1 "regular" flashlight for picking out markers, etc. Both came from WalMart. I have no issue with spotlights; we've just had lots of other things to think about with this boat that were much higher up the priority list.

Maybe that's how I'll know that I'm "done" with the list (ha!); when I start looking at spotlight specs.
Old 02-28-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i have a large guest remote spotlight mounted on the bowrail of my boat,i don't do much moving about when in unfamiliar waters near shore after dark but in an emegency i want to see where the hell i am,this light uses a lot of juice so i only use it in a oh **** situation but i like knowing its there when needed