Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2011

newnewbie is on a distinguished road
Perfect spotlight

It's not the Energizer Rechargeable 3 watt LED (3.7 V 700 mA) 197 beam distance 4AA NiMH batteries 12 hour recharge 3 hour use I just bought.

It's dumb to quote beam distance but there was no way I could adequately see stuff 20 m away!!

Can anyone suggest a decent one which is also waterproof?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
We ditched the spotlight in the early '80s because it kills night vision. The most that we'll use while underway is a micro LED flashlight (to see the telltales), and that is very sparingly. The helmsman turns his head when the trimmer spots the sail.

Once your eyes acclimate to darkness (about 30 minutes) it's amazing what can be seen, even on cloudy night without a moon. I've spent quite a bit of time on a Navy ships and white light on the bridge is forbidden.

My wife and I have a running joke that you can tell power boater is operating at night because the spotlight is shining all over creation ... and into our eyes. No need to actually see what type of boat - if there is a spotlight, it's a powerboater.

In all seriousness, make the spotlight last on your acquisition list. I suspect that someone will jump down my throat for saying that, but we've found that a normal flashlight serves very well when we need it at anchor or in the slip.
Old 02-27-2011

what do you do coming into an unfamiliar harbour on a dark windy wet night?
Old 02-27-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
As far as spots ....on may boat I have a remote sensored spot ....I have a keychane remote controled spotlight. Once Im in distance... 150 ft., I hit the remote and can direct it from 150 ft away...leads me ,,,well lit to the boat .....as we as I can play with it and see whats going on in a 360 direction.
Old 02-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I carry a tactical LED flashlight. Has a decent range and is rated 165 lumens and lets me spot buoys and ATONs at 100'+. It isn't as waterproof as I'd like, but works quite well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-27-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewbie View Post
what do you do coming into an unfamiliar harbour on a dark windy wet night?
pray alot
Old 02-27-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I use a Stanley SLM09. Nice and bright; allows me to pick out buoys/marks really well from quite a distance. Some reviews complain of a short battery life per charge, but if you only use it sparingly (a few seconds at a time), the battery seems to be more than sufficient. It can be plugged in, via a "cigarette lighter" plug, for more extended use.

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 02-27-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I have this one:
Amazon.com: Stanley SL5W09 5 Watt LED Spotlight: Home Improvement

It is really bright and throws a good beam. From the ICW to my slip, I have to traverse a 2 nm long channel that is mostly 50 ft wide with water less than a foot deep on either side of the channel. We did it one night with no moon and no bright lights and I vowed never again.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 02-27-2011

thanks guys
looks like I got badly ripped off on the Energizer
loved the quote about sailors already being in the zone. That was me the other night on my second ever solo night sail. wheeee!
Old 02-27-2011

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
One million candle light on the sail and now on the trawler...some one needs to pull people like saberman off the hard !